Can You Put Chicken Nuggets In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
There aren’t too many kids that won’t eat chicken nuggets. Which is why there are many freezers up and down the land that have a constant supply of frozen chicken nuggets.
If there’s one common fault with chicken nuggets, it’s how soggy they often are. Sure, they’re convenient, all you need to do is place them in the microwave and a few minutes later they’re done.
Using an air fryer to cook chicken nuggets is a great way to produce crispy, crunchy chicken nuggets every time.
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Nuggets In The Air Fryer?
You can cook frozen chicken nuggets in the air fryer, there’s no need to defrost them first. As the frozen chicken nuggets are already precooked, essentially all you’re doing is reheating them.
- Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Place the frozen chicken nuggets in the air fryer basket in a single layer and arrange them to allow a gap around each one
- Air fry at 200 C (400 F) for 8 minutes
- Turn the nuggets over
- Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C (167 F)
Air Fryer Chicken Nugget Cooking Tips
- There’s no need to add any oil at all
- Cook from frozen
- If you do thaw the nuggets first, reduce cooking times by around 50%
- Never overfill the basket
- Shake the basket or turn the nuggets after about 8 minutes
- If your air fryer is preheated or you’re cooking multiple batches, cooking times might need to be reduced by a couple of minutes
How To Make Your Own Chicken Nuggets From Scratch
If you enjoy eating healthy food alternatives, then these homemade chicken nuggets will soon become firm favourites. They’re quick and easy to make and take just 5 ingredients.
- 454g (1lb) Chicken Breast
- 50g (2 ounces) Plain Flour
- 1 Egg
- 150g (6 ounces) Breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Make a dipping station by placing 3 bowls in a line
- Place the flour and salt & pepper mixed together in the 1st bowl
- Place the whisked egg in the 2nd bowl
- Place the breadcrumbs in the 3rd bowl
- Cut the chicken into bite sized chunks
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour
- Then dip into the egg
- Before finally coating in breadcrumbs
- Place the coated chicken nuggets in the air fryer basket in a single layer allowing a gap between each piece
- Air fry at 200 C (400 F) for 5 minutes
- Turn the nuggets and cook for a further 4 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C (167 F)
You could add chilli flakes, garlic powder and/or paprika to the flour mix to spice the flavour up a little. Other than that, there’s not too much that can be added to improve on this recipe.
Can You Reheat McDonalds Chicken Nuggets In An Air Fryer?
You can reheat McDonalds chicken nuggets (or Chicken McNuggets as they call them) in the air fryer as long as you make sure they are reheated correctly. All you need to do is;
- Leftover Chicken McNuggets
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Place the McNuggets in the air fryer basket ensuring there is space around each one to allow adequate air flow
- Air fry at 200 C (400 F) for 3 minutes
- Flip the nuggets and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Ensure the nuggets have reached an internal temperature of 75 C (167 F)
Please note: Chicken McNuggets can only be reheated once to ensure they do not carry any harmful bacteria that could cause food poisoning.
What did McBurglar say when he stole the Chicken McNuggets?
Nothing – he just took the nuggets and dipped.
Pro Tip For Those Who Hate Washing Up
Another thing we’d advise if you want to cut down on the amount of times you have to wash your air fryer is getting air fryer liners. You can learn more about them by clicking here.
They will basically collect all the mess left by the nuggets into the liner, and you can just throw it away after use.
- Can You Put Marinated Meat In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Steak In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Frozen Chips In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Frozen Meat In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put A Joint Of Beef In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cook frozen chicken nuggets in an air fryer. Place the nuggets in a single layer in the basket ensuring there is a gap between each nugget and air fry for around 10 to 12 minutes turning at around the halfway point.
You can cook Chicken McNuggets in the air fryer and they will only take around 5 minutes.
If your nuggets are soggy in the air fryer, it is because you have overcrowded the basket. You need to allow the hot air room to circulate all round the nuggets.
To air fry cold Chicken McNuggets simply preheat the air fryer to 200 C and then place the nuggets in the basket allowing adequate space around the nuggets. Cook for around 4 to 5 minutes.