Best Air Fryers 2023 (UK’s top 7 reviewed)
Air fryers are becoming more popular than ever, they are much healthier than deep fat fryers as they use much less oil, and eliminate unwanted cooking smells. Many foods can be cooked in an air fryer without the use of any oil, making them a very healthy option indeed. But what is the best air fryer to buy?
What are the best features to look out for? And how much can you expect to pay for a decent air fryer? Read on for all the information you’ll need to make an informed choice.
Top Recommended Air Fryers
Here are our picks for the top Air Fryers you can buy:
1. Tower T17021 Family Size Air Fryer with Rapid Air Circulation, 60-Minute Timer, 4.3L, 1500W, Black
In first place we have the Tower T17021 Family Size Air Fryer with Rapid Air Circulation, 60-Minute Timer, 4.3L, 1500W, Black.
VORTX AIR FRYING TECHNOLOGY: Exclusive to Tower Air Fryers, Vortx technology rapidly circulates hot air around food, cooking up to 30% faster than a conventional oven. Vortx also cooks food with little or no oil, making it much healthier, too! Lose the fat not the flavour with Vortx Air Frying Technology
SAVE UP TO 70% ON ENERGY: Cooking food 30% faster, Tower Air Fryers use less power than conventional ovens. Save up to 70% on your energy by simply switching to Air Fryer cooking with savings of £241 per year
2. Air Fryer Oven, Uten 10L Digital Air Fryers Oven, Smart Tabletop Oven with 12 Preset Menus, LED Touch Screen Temperature and Control for Baking with Recipe, 1500W
Air Fryer Oven, Uten 10L Digital Air Fryers Oven, Smart Tabletop Oven with 12 Preset Menus, LED Touch Screen Temperature and Control for Baking with Recipe, 1500W takes our 2nd spot on this list.
[12 Modes] can choose to fry, bake, roast veggie, pork ribs, corn on the cob, cupcake, toast, pizza, fries, steak, fish, shrimp, reheat, chicken wings, chicken legs. Thanks to the hot air circulation system and The unique combination of perfect temperature and time allows you to cook food evenly and gently, so the outer surface is crisp and the inner layer is juicy and tender.
[Convenient and Efficient]: The clear LCD display has 12 pre-programmed programs, touch screen control, you can also manually set the temperature and preparation time by the knob. The circuit protection system can make the machine working process safer.When the body temperature is greater than 240-250 degrees Celsius, it will automatically enter the standby state.
3. EUARY Best 9L Large Dual Basket Air Fryers for Family,8-In-1 Compact Oven with Smart Finish,Oil Free Double Air Fryer with Cookbook,Timer & Temperature Control,Nonstick 2600w
In third place, we have the EUARY Best 9L Large Dual Basket Air Fryers for Family,8-In-1 Compact Oven with Smart Finish,Oil Free Double Air Fryer with Cookbook,Timer & Temperature Control,Nonstick 2600w.
【The ultimate kitchen appliance】Our air fryers allows you to enjoy all your favorite fried foods without the guilt. By using little to no oil, you can create crispy and delicious meals that are healthier than traditional frying methods. Whether you're cooking chicken wings, french fries, or fish, our air fryer is the perfect appliance for guilt-free indulgence.Also,We offer a 2 year warranty. If you encounter any quality problems, We will provide you with a 100% satisfactory after-sales service
【large air fryer for family】With dual cooking zones, our air fryer is like having two appliances in one. You can cook two different foods at the same time or use a single cooking zone alone. This means you can cook your main dish and side dish simultaneously, saving you time and energy. With our double air fryer, you can get dinner on the table in record time.
4. GOURMETmaxx - Air Fryer with Digital Touch Display and 60 Minute Timer, 3L Capacity Basket, Rapid Air Circulation, Large Food Drawer, Oil Free and Low Fat Cooking, 6 Presets, 1400W, Black
The GOURMETmaxx - Air Fryer with Digital Touch Display and 60 Minute Timer, 3L Capacity Basket, Rapid Air Circulation, Large Food Drawer, Oil Free and Low Fat Cooking, 6 Presets, 1400W, Black comes in at fourth position.
QUICK, HEALTHY & HASSLE FREE: State-of-the-art, user-friendly digital touch display simplifies every cooking experience; with a convenient 60-minute timer function, you can easily set the precise cooking time for all your favourite culinary creations.
REDUCES ENERGY BILLS: Compared to traditional 3kw ovens, this innovative airfryer can save up to 60% on energy costs. Enjoy perfectly cooked meals while experiencing significant reductions in your electric and utility bills.
5. Ninja Foodi MAX Dual Zone Digital Air Fryer, 2 Drawers, 9.5L, 6-in-1, Uses No Oil, Air Fry, Max Crisp, Roast, Bake, Reheat, Dehydrate, Cook 8 Portions, Non-Stick Dishwasher Safe Baskets, Black AF400UK
Our number 5 pick is the Ninja Foodi MAX Dual Zone Digital Air Fryer, 2 Drawers, 9.5L, 6-in-1, Uses No Oil, Air Fry, Max Crisp, Roast, Bake, Reheat, Dehydrate, Cook 8 Portions, Non-Stick Dishwasher Safe Baskets, Black AF400UK.
ENERGY-SAVING: Save up to 65% on your energy bill* (*testing and calculations based on recommended cook time for sausages, using air fry function versus conventional ovens).
2 INDEPENDENT COOKING ZONES: Cook 2 foods, 2 ways, both ready at the same time. Use different functions, times and temps in each drawer to create complete meals in one appliance, or cater to 2 tastes.
6. Tefal Easy Fry Precision 2-in-1 Digital Air Fryer and Grill 4.2 Litre Capacity 8 Programs inc Dehydrator Black EY5058, 1550W
The Tefal Easy Fry Precision 2-in-1 Digital Air Fryer and Grill 4.2 Litre Capacity 8 Programs inc Dehydrator Black EY5058, 1550W takes our 6th spot.
2 WAYS TO COOK: Tefal's first digital air fryer and grill in one. Exclusive Extra Crisp air frying technology maximises the crispiness of your food without compromising on flavour and moisture
COOK FASTER AND SAVE ENERGY: Prepare a wide variety of meals 49% faster* than in a conventional oven, get that crispy crunch and taste you love in half the amount of time. Save up to 70% energy** whilst saving up to £156 on your energy bills
7. Air Fryer, Uten 6.5L Power Air Fryer with Digital Display, Rapid Air Circulation System Adjustable Temperature and 30 Minute Timer for Healthy Oil Free & Low Fat 1800W
The Air Fryer, Uten 6.5L Power Air Fryer with Digital Display, Rapid Air Circulation System Adjustable Temperature and 30 Minute Timer for Healthy Oil Free & Low Fat 1800W takes the 7th position.
🍗 Large Capacity Air Fryer: Are you worried that the small fryer below 4L is not enough? Don’t worried now! Uten fryers have 6.5L basket that completely solves this problem, the XXL size is perfect for the family and the party, Which is the only choice for your Love and family.
🍗 8 In 1 & Advanced Touch Screen Menu: 8 In 1 Power Air Fryer allows you to CHIP, CHICKEN, STEAK, SHRIMP, MEAT, CAKE, PIZZA, FISH, which is the best menu for your family. Cook all your favorite meals mess and hassle-free by choosing from preset cooking modes that cook a perfect meal.Of course you can adjust them freely by using "+" or“-” Button, in 10-degree increments and a cooking timer up to 30 minutes.
How Do Air Fryers Work?
This might come as a shock to you, but air fryers don’t actually fry food. The food is cooked by the hot air circulating around it and coating it in a small amount of oil to increase the cooking temperature. The process used to cook food in an air fryer is known as convection heating.
This process cooks food quickly and evenly but it technically bakes food it doesn’t actually fry food.
What Are The Benefits Of An Air Fryer?
To cook food that requires baking straight from the freezer, you don’t need to add any oil. Nor do you need oil for raw meat either, and the benefits don’t stop there. We’ve made a shortlist of the main benefits of owning an air fryer, they are:
- Less oil – As air fryers don’t actually fry food they need hardly any oil at all.
- No odours – Deep frying uses lots of boiling oil, and this leaves a smell clinging to fabrics and even wallpaper. Air fryers don’t use much oil so there are no smells hanging around after cooking.
- Faster cooking times – Air fryers use convection technology that circulates the hot air all around the food cooking it in around half the time of a conventional oven.
- Energy-efficient – As the air fryer takes less time to cook food, it uses less power, saving you energy and money.
- Improved health – Not only because you are consuming less fat with an air fryer is it the healthier option. There is scientific evidence that deep frying in oils exposes you to “toxic acrylamide formation”. The studies have shown that exposure to acrylamide can cause certain types of cancer. Mainly endometrial, ovarian and kidney cancers. By air frying, you reduce the risk of this significantly.
What Are The Disadvantages Of An Air Fryer?
As with all appliances, there are disadvantages to consider too. The main disadvantages of an air fryer are:
- Can be difficult to clean – This is a common complaint when using an air fryer, but in all honesty, if you remember to clean the air fryer after every use it is not that hard at all. Many parts are dishwasher safe, which makes it even easier to clean.
- Noisy to use – Because of the way the heat circulates around the food in an air fryer, it uses a ventilator to draw air in and push air out of the exhaust. This can be quite noisy, depending on the make and model, but whichever type you use they are definitely not silent.
- Take up a lot of counter space – Compared to halogen ovens, air fryers are much bigger and do take up considerably more room.
- Too small for large families – It cannot be denied that even XXL models of air fryers can only cook enough for 4 – 5 adults.
- Takes longer than a deep fryer – Some foods will take longer in an air fryer than in a deep fat fryer, in fact, chips take twice as long to cook in an air fryer. But think of the health benefits, there has to be some trade-off.
- Cost more than deep fryers – There’s no denying it, air fryers cost more than deep fryers. However, you can cook more in an air fryer than you can in a deep fryer. For instance: steaks, fish, bread, cakes, eggs, not to mention chicken and chips.
- Cant cook food covered in wet batter – Wet batter tends to spill and make a mess in the air fryer-as does cheese.
Air Fryer Cooking Guide
Here’s a short guide on some of the delicious food you will be able to cook in your air fryer.
|Steak (1 inch thick)||Season with salt and pepper and turn halfway through cooking time||10 to 15 minutes (depending on how you prefer your steak cooked)||400F (200C)|
|Pork chop bone-in (1 inch thick)||Season with salt and pepper and turn halfway through cooking time||10 to 15 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Chicken breast (6 ounces each)||Brush with oil, season with salt and pepper and turn halfway through cooking time||10 to 15 minutes||380F (190C)|
|Chicken thighsBone-in||Season with salt and pepper and lay skin side up.||15 to 20 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Chicken wings (1lb)||Season with salt and pepper||20 to 25 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Fish fillets (1 inch thick 6 ounces each||Season with salt and pepper and brush with oil||8 to 10 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Frozen chips (1lb)||Shake twice during cooking||15 to 20 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Butternut squash (Cut into 1-inch pieces)||Season with salt and pepper toss in oil, shake halfway through cooking||12 to 15 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Sweet potatoes (cut into 1-inch pieces)||Season with salt and pepper toss in oil, shake halfway through cooking||12 to 15 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Brussels sprouts (halved)||Season with salt and pepper toss in oil, shake twice during cooking||10 to 15 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Sausages||N/A||8 to 12 minutes||400F (200C)|
|Bacon||Lay flat and turn halfway through cooking time||10 to 15 minutes||400F (200C)|
Air Fryer Buyers Guide
Before you rush out and buy any old air fryer in the sales, here’s a buyers guide to help you make an informed decision. There are different makes and models and although they are all air fryers, some have different features to others. Things to consider are:
Ease Of Use
How simple is it to use? Is the manual clearly written and easy to understand? How about the control panel, is it easy to identify the functions?
Some models have preset timers for ease of use, some have more settings than others, if this will make cooking easier for you, it’s worth considering.
The cheapest and most simple air fryers have manual control knobs to set the time and temperature. The more expensive models have digital display units and push-button controls.
The time it takes to cook food in an air fryer can vary quite considerably. Check how long things will take to cook before buying.
Models vary in cooking capacity from small enough for just 1-2 people to XXL which will cook enough for 4-5 people.
The larger capacity air fryers tend to be quite large machines, you need to consider the amount of space you have to store your air fryer.
Air Fryer Price
How much you pay for your air fryer will depend on the make, model, size, and the number of features it has. Prices start at around £35 for a basic model and rise to £8,000 for a top of the range model which includes a microwave function plus much more.
Ease Of Cleaning
Some models are dishwasher safe, others are hand wash only, this is, of course, a matter of choice, but we always find the easier an item is to use and clean, the more likely you are to use it.
Checking food in the air fryer to prevent burning, you will often have to stop the cooking process and open the basket. Some models have transparent lids making it easier to check without stopping the cooking process.
During the cooking of chips, for example, you have to shake the pan halfway through cooking. This means turning the machine off and physically shaking the pan. Some models have an automatic shaking system.
It is always best practice to buy a well-known brand from a reputable retailer. Established brands tend to have more reliable products and a better customer service department in the unlikely event of anything going wrong.
How long is the warranty for? Will it be honoured? If you buy from a reputable retailer, they tend to only use well-known established companies. Their guarantees have much more chance of being honoured than a cheap foreign import made by a company nobody has ever heard of.
How Much Does An Air Fryer Cost?
Basic models of air fryer will cost you around £45 for a basic, small model, and prices rise to around a surprising £8,000 for a top of the range model that pretty much does everything.
If you’re prepared to spend around £80 to £90 you can usually purchase a model that has safety features, dishwasher safe, 11 kg capacity and a 3-year warranty.
- Halogen Oven vs Air Fryer
- Do Air Fryer Disposable Paper Liners Work? (and are they worth it)
- Air Fryer Vs Microwave: What’s better & cheaper?
Frequently Asked Questions
Some models use oil and others can be used oil-free.
If you put cheese or food covered in wet batter it will make a mess in your air fryer, it is recommended not to cook these items in the air fryer.
As long as you have the correct tray it is easy to fry eggs in the air fryer.
As long as you use it correctly it is perfectly safe to use aluminium foil in an air fryer. It must be securely fastened to prevent damage to the air fryer.
Sausages can be cooked perfectly in an air fryer, they take around 8-12 minutes at 400f (200C).
There are certain foods that can be cooked in the air fryer that require you to open the air fryer to turn them during cooking.
Raw chicken will take around 15-20 minutes to cook at 380F (190C) in an air fryer.
All respectable, reputable retailers sell air fryers, including, Robert Dyas, Argos, Amazon, Currys, AO.com and many more.
To cook a pizza in an air fryer it will take about 4-5 minutes at 320 F (160 C) and it will be as good if not better than restaurant pizza.