Can You Put Chicken In A Bag In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Using the air fryer to cook food is a fast, easy and convenient way to cook many of our traditional meals. One of the most successful meals we’ve cooked in our air fryer is chicken.
The only slight problem with cooking chicken in an air fryer is that it does leave the air fryer quite greasy. One way to combat this influx of chicken grease is to use an oven bag.
What Is An Oven Bag?
Oven bags are made from nylon and are designed to seal in all of the flavour of the chicken along with the moisture. Oven bags can typically withstand temperatures up to 200 C (400 F) but you’d need to check on the packaging of the particular brand you’re using.
Oven bags are a great way for improving the flavour of your chicken and of keeping any mess inside the bag. Which keeps the air fryer virtually spotless reducing after meal cleaning up time.
Can You Cook Chicken In A Bag In The Air Fryer?
There are various brands of oven bags available with the 2 most common here in the UK being Nando’s Bag & Bake and Maggi So Juicy.
You’ll be pleased to know that you can potentially use either of these as long as you stick to a few safety rules. Those rules are;
- Choose an oven bag that will fit in your air fryer
The different brands of oven bags are available in different sizes which means not all will comfortably fit in your air fryer. This is more of a problem in basket type air fryers than toaster oven types.
- Never use at too high temperatures
Oven bags are designed to be used at set temperatures, using them at temperatures exceeding those stated could result in the bag melting and damaging your air fryer. In extreme cases it could lead to a fire.
- Always check the maximum temperature the bag can withstand
As we just said, not all oven bags are created equal which means you should never assume that it’s safe to use. Always check the packaging to find out the safe maximum cooking temperature and stick to it.
- Don’t allow the bag to touch any components
Metal parts of your air fryer like the heating element and other component parts can become extremely hot during the cooking process. Always ensure the oven bag is not going to expand and touch any of these components.
How To Cook Chicken Using An Oven Bag In An Air Fryer
We have found this to be the simplest way to cook chicken using an oven bag in the air fryer. With consistent results every time, we’re sure you’ll love it too.
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- Nando’s Bag & Bake
- Place the chicken breasts in the bag
- Pour the seasoning into the bag
- Fold the edge of the bag down
- Shake the bag to make sure the seasoning covers each and every part of the chicken breasts
- Place the bag in the air fryer folded side down
- Air fry at 200 C (400 F) for 20 minutes
- Remove the bag and shake at around the halfway point
- After 20 minutes, check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 75 C (167 F)
Air Fryer Chicken In A Bag Cooking Tips
- Time stated above worked perfectly for large chicken breasts, you might need to adjust cooking times for smaller chicken breasts
- The above method works just as well for other brands of oven bags
- Ensure the bag will comfortably fit in the air fryer and not expand so far as to touch any internal components
- Take care when removing the cooked chicken from the bag as contents will be extremely hot
Safety Tips When Handling Raw Chicken
Properly handling raw chicken is crucial to prevent foodborne illnesses and you should follow these important guidelines to stay safe:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling chicken with warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds. This removes potential bacteria from your hands.
- Always use separate cutting boards for chicken to avoid cross-contamination. This prevents the spread of bacteria to other ingredients.
- Clean and sanitise any surfaces, utensils, or cutting boards that come into contact with raw chicken. Use hot, soapy water and disinfecting solutions to eliminate any lingering bacteria.
- Store raw chicken in sealed containers or bags on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. This prevents drippings from contaminating other foods and keeps it separate from ready-to-eat items.
- Thaw frozen chicken safely using the refrigerator, microwave defrost setting, or by placing it in a sealed plastic bag and submerging it in cold water. Avoid thawing at room temperature, as it promotes bacterial growth.
- Cook chicken thoroughly to a safe internal temperature. Use a reliable meat thermometer and ensure it has reached the minimum cooking temperature of 75C.
- Avoid reusing marinades unless boiled first. Boiling kills any bacteria from the raw chicken that may be present in the marinade.
- Dispose of chicken packaging by tightly wrapping it in a plastic bag to prevent leakage and contamination of other items.
What films are most popular with hens?
- Can You Put Yorkshire Puddings In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Frozen Chips In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Toothpicks In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Quorn Roast In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cook chicken in a bag in an air fryer as long as the bag is not likely to touch any of the air fryer’s internal components and you do not exceed the safe cooking temperature stated on the oven bag’s packaging.
You can use a cooking bag in an air fryer as long as the bag is not likely to expand too much and get caught on any of the internal components of the air fryer, and as long as you keep the air fryer’s temperature within the safe parameters of the bag.
It will take around 20 minutes to cook chicken breasts in an oven bag in the air fryer at 200 C (400 F). You will need to check that the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 75 C (167 F) before serving.
Cooking bags are safe to cook in as long as you do not exceed a high temperature of 200 C (400 F).