Can You Put Tofu In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Whether you’ve tried tofu in the past or not, we’re sure you’ll enjoy tofu cooked in an air fryer. Many people tried tofu years ago, had a bad experience with it and have never tried it again.
We get it, why would you go back again for something you never liked when there are so many other foods you could be eating?
However, air fried tofu is a whole new experience, it’s crispy, crunchy and tasty.
Can You Air Fry Tofu?
You can air fry tofu and we’re convinced you’ll really love the way it turns out.
- 225g (8 ounces) extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Drain and pat dry the tofu using kitchen paper
- Cut the tofu into small cubes
- Place the tofu in a bowl and cover with cornflour, garlic powder, chilli flakes, sesame seeds, salt and pepper
- Sprinkle olive oil to coat the coated tofu
- Place the tofu in the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes
- Shake the basket at 5 minutes and again at 10 minutes
- The tofu is done when it is all golden brown and crispy
- Only use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe
- Remove all excess moisture from the tofu by using a tofu press
- Always coat the tofu in cornflour to ensure it gets crispy
- You can substitute ingredients for your own favourites, for example, use sesame oil instead of olive oil
- Serve with your own favourite dip
- 🌱 Tofuture’s Tofu Press was designed and patented by tofu lovers in the UK
Why You Will Love Air Fried Tofu
Air frying is the perfect way to cook tofu to create a crispy tasty meal. If you have tried tofu in the past and you never liked it, it was probably because it was too soft and mushy. Air frying tofu removes that mushiness and replaces it with a crisper, more flavoursome meal.
Health Benefits Of Tofu
Don’t let tofu’s humble appearance fool you. This soya-based marvel is a powerhouse of nutrition, packed with surprising benefits. With its generous protein content, tofu provides all 9 essential amino acids that our bodies can’t manufacture.
That’s an impressive 8g of protein for a 100g serving of tofu – a compelling argument for those following plant-based diets.
But that’s not all. Tofu is rich in iron and calcium, important for bone health, and full of isoflavones, linked with a lower risk of various health issues. Plus, it’s low in calories but high in fibre, making it a friend of those trying to manage their weight.
And, for our heart-conscious readers, tofu is low in sodium and cholesterol, making it a heart-smart choice. Those with dietary restrictions can also rejoice, as tofu is gluten-free and easy on the digestive system.
So, for those of you who’ve been on the fence about tofu, we hope these impressive health benefits will tip the scales. With your trusty air fryer and our simple recipe, you can transform this protein-packed ingredient into a crispy, delicious treat.
Give air-fried tofu a whirl, and you’ll be tucking into a meal that’s as good for your health as it is pleasing to your taste buds.
Pairings And Serving Suggestions
Air-fried tofu might be the star of the show, but what’s a star without a supportive cast? For the perfect meal, you need accompaniments that complement your crispy tofu.
If you’re a fan of Asian cuisine, try pairing it with a steaming bowl of jasmine rice or noodles, drizzled with a tangy stir-fry sauce.
Fancy a bit of crunch? Toss it into a vibrant salad, full of fresh veggies.
Got a soft spot for dips? A spicy peanut sauce or a zesty soy-lime dressing works wonders. If you’re going Western, try slotting crispy tofu into a hearty sandwich or wrap with your favourite fillings.
And for a delightful fusion, why not scatter some air-fried tofu on top of a creamy pasta dish? With air-fried tofu, the world truly is your oyster (or should we say, your soya cube!).
Got any other suggestions? Let us know in the comments below!
- Can You Put Oven Safe Dishes In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Aluminum Foil In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Broccoli In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
The secret to cooking perfect tofu in an air fryer is to always use firm or extra firm tofu. The tofu should then be pressed to remove any excess moisture. It should then be air fired at 200 C (400 F) until crispy.
For best results you should always press tofu before air frying. This might be extra work, but the results are worth it.
You could cook tofu in an air fryer without pressing it but the results would not be as good. The tofu would not become crispy and would also not absorb any flavours from the coatings.
If your tofu won’t get crispy it is probably because it is too moist. You should always press tofu before air frying to remove any excess moisture.