Can You Put Dumplings In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Dumplings mean different things depending where you’re located around the world. The good news is, whatever dumplings mean to you, they can be cooked in an air fryer.
From potstickers, gyozas, wontons, pierogi, siomai, to suet dumplings, they can all be cooked in an air fryer.
Can You Cook Frozen Dumplings In The Air Fryer?
Frozen dumplings consist of a dough wrapper with a filling or sometimes, just pure dough with no filling. We like ours with a crispy exterior which usually involves using lots of oil and creates a huge mess in the kitchen.
Air frying frozen dumplings gives us the crispy exterior we love without the mess and extra oil. Plus, it’s so easy to cook frozen dumplings in the air fryer.
All you need to do to cook frozen dumplings in an air fryer is follow these simple instructions;
- Frozen dumplings
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F).
- Arrange the frozen dumplings in a single layer in the air fryer basket ensuring there is a gap between each one.
- Spray the dumplings with light olive oil using a mister (if you don’t have a mister lightly brush the dumplings using 1 to 2 tablespoons of light olive oil.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 180 C (350 F) turn the dumplings after 4 minutes.
When cooking frozen dumplings in an air fryer, they turn out much crispier than cooking using other methods.
If you thaw the dumplings before cooking them, you’ll need to lower the cooking time, in some cases the cooking time could be halved depending on the type and brand of frozen dumpling you’re cooking.
If you don’t use oil the dumplings will become too dry on the outside.
Can You Cook Suet Dumplings In An Air Fryer?
There’s nothing quite so cheering on a cold Winter’s day as a big bowl of beef stew with suet dumplings. But can you make suet dumplings in an air fryer?
If you are a regular suet dumpling maker, you’ll know they can be cooked actually in the stew as it cooks. However, if you have already made the stew and need the dumplings in a hurry, you can cook them in an air fryer.
To make and cook suet dumplings in an air fryer just follow these simple steps;
- 50 g (1.75 ounces) Shredded suet
- 100 g (3.50 ounces) Self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tip all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix by hand.
- Pour a small amount of water and mix until you have a dough-like mixture. Use as little water as possible because you don’t want soggy dumplings.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal (ish) size pieces and roll on a floured board until you have 8 suet dumpling balls.
- Spray with light olive oil and place in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 10 minutes at 160 C (320 F).
You will only need to use a small amount of oil-no more than 1 to 2 tablespoons which is just to prevent the dumplings from sticking to the air fryer’s basket.
How To Save On Cleaning The Air Fryer When Cooking Dumplings
An air fryer offers numerous advantages, with one notable benefit being the rapid cooking time it provides. Additionally, it minimises energy consumption by concentrating heat in a smaller area.
While cleaning up after using an air fryer can be a bit of a pain, there are effective methods to reduce the amount of washing required. Consider the following techniques to minimise clean up time:
Using Disposable Paper Liners
- Healthy and Reliable Material: Using food grade parchment, it is waterproof, oil-proof, non-stick, 100% healthy and with nice heat resistant, can withstand temperatures up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit. And it has no effect on the taste of food
Disposable paper liners are specifically designed for air fryers. These liners are made from durable baking (parchment) paper and are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit most air fryer models.
Featuring waterproof, greaseproof, and non-stick properties, these liners can withstand temperatures of up to 220°C (428°F), making them an excellent choice for air frying.
By effectively trapping crumbs, grease, and fat, these liners significantly reduce the need for extensive cleaning of your air fryer after each use.
In many cases, these liners can be recycled (please verify with your local authority) or composted, offering an environmentally friendly solution.
Using Silicone Liners
- 🥘【For Ninjas Dual Air Fryer】Our silicone air fryer liner specially designed for Ninjas Dual Air Fryer, Can cook two cooking at the same time, The reusable silicone air fryer liner is more affordable, Great alternative to disposable paper fryer paper.
Similar to their disposable paper counterparts, these reusable silicone liners are available in various shapes and sizes to accommodate most air fryers. Constructed from food-grade silicone, these liners boast non-stick, non-toxic properties and can endure temperatures of up to 232°C (450°F).
After each use, these silicone liners can be easily washed and reused, making them an excellent choice for those seeking an environmentally friendly alternative. Their durability ensures they can be used repeatedly, reducing waste and promoting sustainability.
Using Parchment Paper
- PROWRAP PARCHMENT PAPER—Contains roll of 300mm x 50m.
For convenient cleanup, consider using parchment paper in your air fryer. Simply cut it to the appropriate size and place it in the basket to capture any crumbs, fat, or grease, preventing them from seeping through the basket’s perforations or onto the air fryer’s inner base.
After use, you can dispose of the parchment paper with your regular waste. In some cases, it may also be suitable for recycling (please check with your local council) or it can be put in the compost bin.
Keep in mind that when using baking paper, always secure it in place with food items. The air fryer’s powerful fan can cause the lightweight paper to blow around and potentially get stuck to the heating element, posing a fire hazard.
- Can You Put Breaded Chicken In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Broccoli In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Wet Batter In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Battered Fish In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can air fry thawed dumplings, gyozas and potstickers. They will take anywhere between 4 to 5 minutes at 180 C (350 F).
You can air fry frozen dumplings all you need to do is preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F) then place the frozen dumplings in the basket ensuring there is a gap between each one. Then spray with light olive oil and air fry for 8 minutes turning at the halfway point.
You cannot put water in your air fryer to steam dumplings. You should never put water in an air fryer. Air fryers work by spreading hot air all around the food which cooks it fast and crispy. It is possible to air fry dumplings but you cannot steam dumplings in an air fryer.
You can cook suet dumplings in an air fryer. Just make your suet dumplings in the usual way then divide into roughly equal size balls and spray with light olive oil then place them in the air fryer’s basket. Air fry for 10 minutes at 160 C (320 F) turning at the halfway point.
Dumplings can be healthy and quite nutritious but they are also quite high in calories, salt and fat content. The healthiest way to cook dumplings is in an air fryer as they need no additional oil to cook.