Can You Put Wet Batter In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
The air fryer is one of the newest kitchen appliances to have become ever more popular over the past few years. Since their introduction in 2010, the air fryer has created much interest in cooking circles.
And for good reason, it is a healthy way to cook food and it takes far less time to cook that food than in a conventional oven.
One of the questions that keeps popping up on forums is whether or not wet batter can be used in an air fryer. Keep reading to find out the truth about using wet batter in an air fryer.
Can You Put Wet Batter In An Air Fryer?
Many top cooks disagree on this subject with some claiming that putting wet batter in an air fryer just creates a sticky mess. While others say it can be done but only using a certain technique.
We have found a surefire way to cook wet batter coated foods in an air fryer.
The secret is in the batter mix itself, you need to make a really sticky batter. This is done by putting 120g (1 cup) of flour mixed with seasonings) in a bowl and adding small drops of milk whilst using a whisk to stir.
- STANDARD KITCHEN UTENSIL - This standard hand whisk manual is a great addition to your kitchen tool set, helping create any home made dishes
The batter should have the consistency of cooked porridge oats when done.
You then place the chicken and the batter in a large container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Every few minutes shake the container so that the batter covers all of the chicken.
Then place another 120g (1 cup) of flour into a large tray and coat each piece of chicken (or fish or whatever food you want battered) in the flour.
Then spray with a small amount of light olive oil using a mister.
- 👨🍳【Healthy Life Start From Controlling Oil】Newly upgraded olive oil spray bottle, Larger nozzle to make the spraying area larger and wider than normal one, and sprayed oil mist is more delicate. The atomized oil is evenly distributed and covered on the food surface, thereby reducing oil and calorie intake. Reduce waste and stay healthy. Note: Press to the end and press quickly you will get a foggy effect, halfway down will get a columnar effect.
You will only need 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil to lightly coat each item.
Then preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F) and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning at least once at the halfway point.
Air Fryer Batter Recipe
To cook your chicken, fish or anything else in batter in the air fryer, you will need;
- Meat or fish
- 240g (2 cups) plain flour
- Seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, etc)
- 142 ml (¼ pint) milk
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- Pour 120g (1 cup) of the flour mixed with seasoning into a bowl.
- Slowly add milk one drop at a time whilst whisking the mixture.
- Once you have achieved a thick porridge oat-like consistency, the batter is ready.
- Submerge all of the meat/fish in the batter mixture and refrigerate for 30 to 50 minutes.
- Shake the bowl every few minutes to ensure the batter has coated every surface of the meat/fish.
- Place the rest of the flour in a shallow tray and coat each piece of battered meat/fish with flour.
- Spray the floured meat/fish pieces with a small amount of light olive oil.
- Then preheat the air fryer and place all of the battered items into the air fryer’s basket allowing a gap around each one.
- Air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 15 to 20 minutes, turning at least once at the halfway point.
- Check the internal temperature of the food using a meat thermometer.
- Meat needs to be at least 74 C (165 F), and fish needs to be at least 63 C (145 F) to be safe to eat.
How To Cook Beer Battered Fish In An Air Fryer
This is a traditional beer battered fish recipe with a twist.
- 2 Cod Fillets
- 240g (2 cups) of Plain Flour
- 2 tablespoons of Corn Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda (baking Soda)
- 225 ml (8 fluid ounces) of Beer
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic Powder
- Place 120g (1 cup) of plain flour, the bicarbonate of soda, corn flour, egg and beer into a large mixing bowl
- Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for around 30 minutes
- Place the rest of the flour, garlic powder and paprika in another bowl and mix
- Dip the fish in the batter mixture shake off any excess
- Then dip the battered fish in the flour mixture ensuring that the flour fully coats the entire surface of the fish
- Spray the fish with oil
- Place the fish in the air fryer basket ensuring there is a gap between each piece
- Air fry at 190 C (380 F) for 6 minutes
- Turn the fish and cook for a further 6 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches at least75 C (167 F)
Air Fried Beer Battered Fish Cooking Tips
- Cooking times are approximate due to all air fryers being different
- You can use any beer
- We used cod fillets but you can use any fish fillet
- Ensure the fish is arranged in the air fryer basket with a gap between each piece
Can You Cook Frozen Battered Fish In An Air Fryer?
You can cook frozen battered fish in an air fryer.
- 2 Frozen Battered Fish Fillets
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Place the battered fish pieces into the air fryer basket ensuring there is a gap between each piece
- Air fry for 8 minutes
- Turn the fish over
- Air fry for a further 6 minutes or until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 75 C (167 F)
Can You Put Shop Bought Battered Food In An Air Fryer?
You can cook shop bought battered chicken or fish etc in an air fryer. Just spray with a little light olive oil to ensure the batter becomes crispy and golden brown and then cook in a preheated air fryer at 180 C (350 F) for 10 minutes then turn and cook for another 5 minutes. Check the temperature of the food using a meat thermometer. Meat needs to be at least 74 C (165 F), and fish needs to be at least 63 C (145 F) to be safe to eat.
Ways To Prevent The Battered Food From Sticking To The Air Fryer
When cooking anything with a batter coating in an air fryer you run the risk of some of that batter sticking to the air fryer. However, there are a few great innovations that will prevent this from happening. They include;
- Food-Grade Silicone Material: Silicone Air Fryer Liners are non-toxic, and have no fluorescence 100% Healthy. They are non-stick, waterproof, and oil-proof. They can withstand temperatures up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit and have no effect on the taste of food.
Silicone liners come in many different shapes to fit almost every air fryer basket. They are made from food grade silicone and are waterproof, grease proof as well as being non-stick.
If you place your battered food items in a silicone liner it will prevent any of the batter falling into the air fryer basket.
After use, the silicone liner can be washed either in the sink or in the dishwasher. Silicone liners are reusable making them an environmentally friendly choice.
Disposable Air Fryer Liners
- [Disposable Air Fryer Liners for NINJA FOODIE DUAL]- These Parchment Liners are also compatible with Major brand Ninja AF300UK AF400UK, Tower T17088 Vortex, EMtronics, Tower Instant Vortex fryer, Salter, Daewoo and other Dual air fryers.
These disposable liners are made from reinforced baking (parchment) paper and come in a number of designs to fit almost every air fryer.
They are grease proof, waterproof, non-stick and can withstand temperatures of up to 220 C (428 F).
After use the liner can be thrown away in the general household waste or in some areas they can be recycled but you’ll need to check with your local authority.
- Do Air Fryer Disposable Paper Liners Work? (and are they worth it)
- Can You Put Frozen Chicken In An Air Fryer? (breast, wings, mini fillets etc)
- Can You Put Broccoli In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Bread In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
In theory you cannot put a raw batter in an air fryer because it will just drip all over the air fryer. However you can make a thickened batter and then coat that in flour before spraying with light olive oil and then it is possible to air fry raw batter.
You can air fryer frozen food with batter. To make the batter go golden brown and crispy, spray with a little light olive oil.
You can use a flour batter in an air fryer. Coating the batter in flour before spraying with a little light olive oil is a great way to air fry battered food.
To prevent batter from sticking to the air fryer it should be sprayed with a small amount of light olive oil. Or use a silicone air fryer liner or a disposable air fryer liner.
You can cook shop bought battered fish in an air fryer. To ensure you get a golden brown crispy batter, spray with a little light olive oil before placing in the air fryer.
Wet batter can be used in an air fryer as long as you dredge the battered food in plain flour before air frying. Otherwise the wet batter will just fall off the food.
A wet batter is made from an egg, milk and flour mixture which is used to coat the food before it is deep fried in hot oil.