Can You Put Eggs In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Ever since we first got our air fryer, we’re always searching for new ways to use it. But here’s a type of food that can be cooked in an air fryer that surprised us.
It turns out you can cook eggs in an air fryer and you’re not limited to one type of cooked egg. In this article we’ll show you several different ways to cook eggs in the air fryer including;
- Boiled Eggs
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Eggs On Toast
- Fried Eggs
- Scrambled Eggs
- Poached Eggs
All cooked with less fuss and far less mess than on a conventional cooker hob. So let’s get into how to do each…
Can You Cook Boiled Eggs In An Air Fryer?
We know, right? Boiled eggs in an air fryer? As strange as it sounds, you can cook boiled eggs in an air fryer. Plus you don’t have to wait for any pans of water to start boiling first!
- Preheat your air fryer to 150 C (300 F).
- Place eggs in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 9 minutes.
The eggs will be perfectly cooked boiled eggs or soft boiled eggs as they’re also known. Solid whites and runny, gooey yolks perfect for dipping hot buttered toast into.
To prevent the eggs from over cooking, serve immediately or place in a bowl of ice water.
Can You Cook Hard Boiled Eggs In An Air Fryer?
Cooking hard boiled eggs in the air fryer uses exactly the same method as cooking soft boiled eggs but you let them cook for a longer period of time. All you need to do is follow these simple steps;
- Preheat your air fryer to 150 C (300 F)
- Place eggs in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 15 minutes.
Can You Cook Eggs On Toast In An Air Fryer?
This is an incredibly easy way to cook eggs on toast with the added bonus that there’s no frying pan to clean up after cooking.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps;
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of bread
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- Make a depression in the centre of each slice of bread using a small ramekin (or similar). Take care to not push too hard as you don’t want to cut the bread, just make a bowl shaped depression.
- Place the 2 slices of bread in the air fryer.
- Crack the eggs into the depressions in the slices of bread (one egg per slice).
- Air fry at 195 C (385 F) for 5 minutes.
If you like your eggs more set than runny, cook for longer but stick with the 195 C temperature.
Can You Cook Fried Eggs In An Air Fryer?
You can cook perfect fried eggs in your air fryer by just following these simple steps;
- Light olive oil (in a mister)
- Spray oil into a small pie tin (if you have them, use pie tins small enough to fit 2 into the air fryer basket at a time.
- Crack an egg into each pie tin (one egg per pie tin).
- Air fry at 190 C (375 F) for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Check that the egg white is firm and the yolk is cooked the way you like it.
- Using a spatula, remove the egg from the pie tin and serve.
If you don’t have any small pie tins, you could use oven safe ceramic ramekins but you might need to cook for slightly longer.
4 ½ to 5 minutes is usually long enough to produce air fried eggs with firm whites and a runny yolk. If you prefer your egg yolks firmer, cook for longer.
Can You Cook Scrambled Eggs In An Air Fryer?
As long as you have the right type of tin, you can cook perfect scrambled eggs in the air fryer. Just follow these steps;
- Preheat the air fryer to 150 C (300 F).
- Crack the eggs into a cake tin (with relatively high sides), add salt and pepper and mix.
- Air fry at 150 C (300 F) for 3 minutes.
- Stir the eggs.
- Air fry for 2 minutes at 150 C (300 F).
- Stir the eggs again.
- Air fry for a further minute at 150 C (300 F).
- Serve and enjoy.
If, after the final minute, the eggs are still too runny for your liking, stir and cook for another minute and check again. Keep stirring and adding one minute to the cooking time until the eggs are the way you prefer them.
We recommend using a high sided cake tin to cook scrambled eggs in an air fryer because the high sides prevent the eggs from solidifying too soon (which is likely in a shallow tray).
Can You Cook Poached Eggs In An Air Fryer?
This might sound like a stretch too far, but you really can poach eggs in an air fryer. The usual way to poach eggs is in a pan of boiling water on the hob or stovetop.
Using an air fryer to poach eggs gives perfect results in less time than it typically takes to boil a pan of water.
Just follow these easy to follow steps;
- Light olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F).
- Oil two oven safe ramekins using light olive oil in a mister (use oil sparingly).
- Pour ¼ of a cup of water into each ramekin.
- Crack one egg into each water filled ramekin.
- Air fry for 4 minutes at 180 C (350 F).
- Using a teaspoon (or small spatula) gently tease the egg from the sides or bottom of the ramekin.
- Ensure the eggs are totally submerged in the water.
- Air fry for 3 minutes at 180 C (350 F).
- Remove eggs and serve.
Depending on the make and model of your air fryer, and how you prefer your poached eggs, timings may vary. Egg size can also affect how long it takes to poach the eggs in an air fryer just the way you like them.
Always make sure the eggs are fully submerged in water, otherwise the egg white could become crispy and more like a fried egg than a poached egg.
Remember because the eggs are in ramekins of hot water, they will continue to cook until they are removed from the water.
Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, you can poach up to 4 eggs at the same time.
- Can You Put Corn On The Cob In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Dumplings In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Donuts In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can fry an egg in an air fryer. All you need to do is lightly oil two small oven safe ramekins or pie tins and crack one egg into each tin. Air fry at 190 C (375 F) for 4 to 5 minutes, check that the egg white is firm and the yolk is cooked the way you like it and remove using a small spatula.
It is safe to cook boiled eggs in an air fryer. All you need to do is preheat your air fryer to 150 C (300 F) then place the eggs in the air fryer basket and air fry at 150 C (300 F) for 9 minutes for soft boiled eggs and 15 minutes for hard boiled eggs.
You can scramble eggs in an air fryer. All you need to do is preheat the air fryer to 150 C (300 F), crack the eggs into a high sided cake tin and whisk, then air fry for 3 minutes at 150 C then stir and air fry for another 2 minutes. Stir again and air fry for a further minute, then serve.
Believe it or not, you can poach eggs in an air fryer. All you have to do is lightly oil 2 oven safe ramekins and pour in ¼ of a cup of water. Then crack 1 egg into each ramekin and air fry for 4 minutes at 180 C (350 F). Then gently tease the egg from the side and bottom of the ramekin using a teaspoon or small spatula. Ensure the eggs are fully submerged in the water to prevent the egg white from crisping up. Air fry for a further 3 minutes and serve.