Can You Put Gammon Steaks In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Gammon steaks make a great quick, easy meal and served with eggs and chips and maybe a pineapple ring or two they’re delicious. Cooking gammon steaks in the air fryer takes little time to cook and even less time to clean up afterwards.
What Are Gammon Steaks?
Some people call these gammon steaks while others call them ham steaks. The difference is that gammon steaks are raw and ham steaks are cooked. In other words, once gammon is cooked it becomes ham.
So once gammon steaks become cooked they are ham steaks.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Gammon steaks are a great, easy alternative to cooking baked ham
- Gammon steaks cooked in the air fryer will take an average of just 10 minutes to cook
- Air frying gammon steaks takes less time and creates less mess than frying on a hob
How To Cook Gammon Steaks In An AIr Fryer
Whatever you call them, these steaks are so easy to cook in an air fryer and take such a short time to cook too.
- 2 Gammon Steaks
- 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil
- Brush the gammon steaks with olive oil on both sides
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F) for 3 minutes
- Place the gammon steaks in the air fryer basket in a single layer ensuring there is a gap around each one
- Air fry for 4 minutes
- Turn the gammon steaks
- Cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C (167 F)
- Remove from the basket
Air Fryer Gammon Steaks Cooking Tips
- Ham steaks will take a few minutes less to cook than gammon steaks
- You should always preheat the air fryer to ensure an even cooking time all over
- Remove the gammon steaks from the air fryer basket as soon as they’re done to prevent them from overcooking
- Allow the gammon steaks to rest for 2 to 3 minutes before serving to let the juices redistribute
- If cooking pineapple rings these can be cooked with the gammon steaks in the air fryer
Air Fryer Gammon Steaks Serving Suggestions
Gammon steaks are traditionally served with;
- Pineapple Rings
- Fried Eggs
But you can also serve with;
- Mashed Potatoes
- Fried/Grilled Tomatoes
Serving pineapple rings along with fried eggs and chips might seem like a slightly odd combination but the flavours really compliment each other.
Choosing The Right Gammon Steaks For Air Frying
When it comes to air frying gammon steaks, picking the perfect cuts of meat can really make a difference to the end result. Here are 3 factors to keep in mind when selecting gammon steaks for air frying;
- Quality and thickness of the gammon steaks
It’s essential to go for gammon steaks that are of the best quality and freshness. Look out for cuts that strike a good balance between lean meat and marbling, as it ensures tender and juicy results. Also aim for steaks that are evenly thick to guarantee even cooking throughout.
- Smoked or unsmoked
You’ll find gammon steaks available in two varieties: smoked and unsmoked. Smoked gammon steaks have a distinctive smoky flavour that adds an extra taste to your dish. On the other hand, unsmoked gammon steaks offer a milder taste, allowing other flavours shine.
- Added seasoning or marinades
Keep an eye out for gammon steaks that come pre-seasoned or marinated. While these options can be convenient, it’s important to look at the ingredients and understand how they might affect the flavour. If you prefer having control over the seasoning, go for plain gammon steaks and season them yourself according to your tastes.
I used to be addicted to ham
But now I’m cured!
- Can You Put Pork Chops In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Raw Bacon In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Raw Chicken In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Multiple Foods On Top Of Each Other In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
It takes no longer than 10 minutes to cook gammon steak in an air fryer at 180 C (350 F).
The difference between a gammon steak and a ham steak is that a cooked gammon steak is called a ham steak. While a raw ham steak is called a gammon steak.
You have pineapple with gammon because the sweetness of the pineapple neutralises the saltiness of the gammon.
The typical accompaniment for gammon steak and pineapple is fried egg and chips with peas.