Can You Put Raw Chicken In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
The air fryer has become our “go to” appliance for cooking all manner of foods. Using the air fryer is quicker, easier, healthier and saves on both energy and washing up as well.
We’re often told that certain foods can harbour pathogens and other harmful bacteria. Raw chicken is one of the main worries for spreading diseases and food poisoning. Which is why we decided to compile this article.
Can You Cook Raw Chicken In An Air Fryer?
You can cook raw chicken in an air fryer and it will cook perfectly whichever way you cook it. We have already covered cooking breaded chicken in an air fryer, and putting frozen chicken in an air fryer, so let’s look at putting raw chicken in the air fryer.
How To Cook Raw Chicken In An Air Fryer
To make perfect chicken breasts that taste great and have the texture of grilled chicken, all you need to do is;
- 4 Raw Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Rub olive oil into each piece of chicken
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a small bowl
- Sprinkle the dry mixture over each piece of chicken
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket ensuring there is a gap between each piece
- Cook at 180 C (350 F) for 10 minutes
- Turn each chicken breast over and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C (167 F)
- Remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer basket and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving
Please Note: Cooking times are dependent on the thickness and size of your chicken breasts, you might need to adjust accordingly.
- If you prefer, you don’t need to use any herbs or spices at all
- You can substitute any herbs or spices that you prefer
- Remember to always leave a gap between each chicken breast in the air fryer basket to allow adequate air flow
- Always remove the chicken from the basket as soon as it is cooked to prevent overcooking and drying the meat out
Can You Cook A Whole Raw Chicken In An Air Fryer?
You can cook a whole chicken in an air fryer all you need to do is;
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F)
- Remove the giblets and wash the chicken
- Pat dry and rub salt into the chicken skin
- Spray chicken with olive oil
- Place the chicken breast side down in the basket
- Air fry for 30 minutes
- Turn the chicken and cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size and weight of the chicken
- Once the internal temperature has reached 75 C (167 F), remove the chicken from the basket and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Cooking Tips
- Allow the chicken to reach room temperature before air frying, this will take around 30 to 50 minutes from the fridge
- Always ensure there is adequate space around the chicken to allow the hot air to flow easily all around the chicken
- Always turn the chicken halfway through the cooking time
- Ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 75 C (165 F) before serving
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute and the muscles and fibres to relax
Why It’s Safe To Put Raw Chicken In An Air Fryer
Due to the high temperatures achieved when air frying food, it is perfectly safe to put raw chicken in the air fryer. This is because any germs, bacteria or harmful pathogens will be destroyed due to the high heat produced in the air fryer.
It is always best practice to check the internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer. To be sure all of your meat products are cooked to a safe level, be sure to check our meat cooking temperature chart.
Pro Tip If You Hate Washing Up
Another thing we’d recommend if you want to make cleaning your air fryer easier is using air fryer liners. You can learn about them by clicking here where we go into depth on what they are and what they do..
Put simply, they collect the mess left by the chicken, which you can then just throw away after use or in some areas they can be placed in the recycle bin.
Where do strong chickens come from?
Hard boiled eggs
- Can You Put Marinated Meat In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Steak In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put A Joint Of Beef In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Frozen Chips In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Frozen Meat In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
It will take around 45 minutes to 1 hour to cook a whole raw chicken depending on the size and weight of the chicken.
It is more healthy to air fry raw chicken compared to oven roasting it. This is because you will need almost no oil at all to air fry chicken.
It is far cheaper to cook chicken in an air fryer than using a conventional oven. In many cases, cooking chicken in an air fryer will cost around 50% less.
Air frying chicken is a far healthier way of cooking it compared to deep frying it. The chicken will still have that amazing crispy exterior but taste far more succulent.
We have found that 180 C (350 F) is the best temperature to air fry chicken at. It cooks it to perfection without drying the meat out.