Can You Put Onions In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Cooking onions in an air fryer is, in our opinion, the best way to cook them. If you’re looking for an easy recipe for air frying onions, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article we’ll show you how to air fry onions, saute onions and caramelise onions in the air fryer. You can leave your air fried onions soft or let them crisp up and go golden brown.
All of these recipes are so simple to create and yet so tasty. As we’re just using onions and no batter, these air fried onions can be used in many different recipes once cooked.
Why You’ll Love Air Fried Onions
There are several reasons why we’re sure you’ll love these air fried onions including;
- They Cook Fast
Sauteing onions in the air fryer will take around 10 to 12 minutes, a few more minutes at a lower temperature will produce caramelised onions. It can take upwards of 40 to 60 minutes to caramelise onions on the hob.
- They Don’t Need Constant Watching
There’s no need to be constantly stirring onions cooked in the air fryer. All you need to do is stir the onions once during their entire cooking time in the air fryer.
- They’re Not Messy
It’s so easy to allow some of the onion pieces to get burnt onto the pan when cooking onions on a hob. As the air fryer is set at a specific temperature, nothing gets burnt or stuck on. Which makes air fried onions the easy to clean option.
- They Taste Great
If you’re a fan of fried onions, you’re going to absolutely love these air fried onions.
How To Cook Onions In An Air Fryer
You only need an air fryer and three ingredients to make perfect air fried onions every time.
- 227g (8 ounces) Onions
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Remove the top, bottom and skin of the onions
- Cut the onions in half and then slice into semicircles about 0.3cm (⅛ inch) thick
- Place the onions in a bowl and pour the oil over them
- Sprinkle with salt
- Place the onions in the air fryer basket and spread them out
- Air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 8 minutes
- Stir the onions
- Cook for a further 4 minutes or until sauteed
- If you want to get the onions caramelised, air fry at 150 C (300 F) for another 5 to 10 minutes
- If you want to get crispy onions add an extra 2 to 4 minutes
Air Fried Onions Cooking Tips
- Don’t use any sugar to cook onions in the air fryer as sugar will decrease the cooking time which will make them burn easier
- This recipe is for 227g (8 ounces) of onions. Using less onions will decrease the cooking time, using more will add to the time needed to cook them properly
- Cooking at 180 C (350 F) for a total of 12 minutes will saute the onions, adding an extra 5 to 10 minutes at 150 C (300 F) will caramelise them, and an extra 2 to 4 minutes on top of that will make the onions crispy
- We used olive oil, but you can use any oil with a high smoke point
- To reduce mess even more you could use an air fryer paper liner in the basket
- We used regular brown onions but you could use white onions, red onions or sweet onions
- We just used salt as a seasoning but you could use any seasoning that you prefer including;
- Cajun seasoning
- Cayenne pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Chilli flakes
- You could also cut the onions into rings if you prefer
- Cooking times may vary depending on the make and model of air fryer you own
What do you get if you mix beans and onions?
- Can You Put Waffles In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Pasta In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Ravioli In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cook onions in an air fryer. Just cut the onions into slices and drizzle with oil then air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 8 to 10 minutes.
It will take a total of around 18 to 20 minutes to caramelise onions in an air fryer.
You should cook the sliced onions at 180 C (350 F) for around 12 minutes in the air fryer.