Can You Put Oysters In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
You can cook oysters in an air fryer. In fact, the easiest way we know to open oyster shells is in the air fryer. Oysters are not everyone’s favourite seafood.
However, if you like oysters and would like an easy way to shuck them and cook them, keep reading.
Using An Air Fryer To Shuck Oysters
For those of you unfamiliar with the term, shucking is the act of opening the oyster shell to reveal the flesh inside. This often involves holding the sometimes sharp oyster shell and twisting it and levering it with a knife.
Shucking oysters in this way can be somewhat dangerous. Oysters should be tightly closed when purchased, if not there’s a strong possibility of them being unfit for human consumption.
Eating a bad oyster could make you seriously ill which is why tightly closed oysters are the safest to buy. The problem is that because they’re so tightly sealed, they can be extremely difficult to open.
Which is where the air fryer comes in.
How To Use An Air Fryer To Shuck Oysters
This is the easiest way we have found to shuck fresh oysters and once you’ve tried it you’ll be amazed at just how easy it is too.
- 12 Fresh Oysters
- Check each oyster to ensure that none of them are already open or have a bad smell
- Preheat the air fryer to 220 C (425 F)
- Place as many oysters as will fit in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- Air fry for around 7 minutes or until they pop open
- Stay close to the air fryer and listen for that audible pop
- You can then cook them for a further 2 minutes if you prefer your oysters cooked or remove them immediately when you hear them pop
Tips For Shucking Oysters In An Air Fryer
- Cooking times will vary dependent on the size of the oysters and the make and model of your air fryer
- Stay close to the air fryer to listen for the oyster shells popping open
- If you prefer your oysters fully cooked, cook for an extra 2 minutes after the oysters have popped
- Always ensure the oysters are fresh and discard any that are already open or smell bad
- Fresh oysters should smell like the sea and not like fish
- Don’t overcook your oysters, overcooked oysters will become rubbery
How To Cook Breadcrumbed Oysters In An Air Fryer
These breadcrumb coated oysters are quick to make and taste amazing. The perfect way to impress any seafood aficionado.
- 454g (1 lb) of Raw Shucked Oysters
- 60g (½ cup) of Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Large Egg
- 180g (1 ½ cups) of Breadcrumbs
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F)
- Rinse and drain the oysters
- Pat the oysters dry with kitchen paper
- Mix the flour and cajun seasoning in a bowl
- In a separate bowl beat the egg
- Set up a dipping station with 3 bowls, one with flour, the 2nd with beaten egg and the 3rd with breadcrumbs
- Coat the oysters in flour
- Then dip in the egg
- Then roll in breadcrumbs
- Place the coated oysters in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- Spray with oil
- Air fry for 4 minutes
- Turn the oysters spray with oil and cook for a further 4 minutes
Air Fried Breadcrumbed Oysters Cooking Tips
- Always arrange the oysters in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- You can substitute any seasoning if you don’t like cajun
- As all air fryers are different, cooking times are for guidance only
- You can use canned oysters if you prefer
How To Cook Half Shell Oysters In An Air Fryer
This is the fastest and easiest way to cook oysters.
- 8 Oysters on a Half Shell
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Place the 8 oyster half shells in the air fryer basket
- Cook for 4 minutes
Sauces To Accompany Air Fried Oysters
Air fried oysters are great on their own, but they’re even better when eaten with a dip. Here are a few ideas for dips to accompany oysters;
- Garlic Butter
- Hot Pepper Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Cocktail Sauce
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Cheese Sauce
Why don’t oysters share their pearls?
Because they’re shellfish!
- Can You Put Hot Pockets In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Toaster Strudels/Pop Tarts In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can open oysters in an air fryer. All you need to do is preheat the air fryer to 220 C (425 F) and cook for around 7 minutes or until you hear the oyster shells pop open.
Fresh oysters should be tightly closed and once opened, should smell of the sea, not of fish.
The internal temperature of a cooked oyster needs to reach at least 63 C (145 F) to be safe to eat.
If your air fried oysters are chewy and rubbery, they are overcooked.