Best Waffle Maker 2023
We were talking about waffles the other day, and among the whole staff here at check appliance, we couldn’t find one person who doesn’t like waffles. They are the ultimate breakfast, dessert or brunch time food. Making your own waffles is a great way to save money and time.
The first decision you need to make is whether you prefer Belgian (often called American) waffles or the smaller, flatter Scandinavian style waffles. As there are waffle makers dedicated to either type. If you enjoy waffles but only occasionally, you’ll probably do better investing in one of the multi-purpose waffle maker/panini/toasted sandwich makers. If you are a serious waffle fan then read on, we have all you need to know to be sure you buy the perfect waffle maker for you and your family.
Best Selling Waffle Makers UK
- Compact and Efficient: The Tiastar mini waffle maker is a space-saving waffle maker that allows you to prepare delicious waffles with its 10cm waffle plate, making it ideal for smaller kitchens or individual servings.
- Non-Stick Coating: The waffle plate of this mini waffle maker is equipped with a non-stick coating, ensuring easy removal of waffles and effortless cleaning, making it a convenient waffle iron to use.
- EXTRA DEEP NON-STICK COATING PLATES: Cook your waffles to perfection every time using the NETTA electric waffle iron. Featuring a non-stick coating, an adjustable temperature control and 'ready to cook' light, cooking waffles for your family has never been easier.
- EASY TO USE: How to cook your waffles on this counter top waffle maker: simply adjust the dial to your preferred cooking temperature, wait for the 'ready to cook' light to switch on, pour your waffle mixture and your waffles will be done cooking in around 5 minutes. The non stick iron will allow your waffles to pop out hassle free.
- If you fancy a fun, tasty treat, this Salter waffle maker is ideal; simply bake your waffles then add lovely toppings to your dessert
- The cool touch handles enable you to safely open the lid to check the waffles during cooking or to remove them when they are baked
- Enjoy making delicious fluffy waffles, whether you like them sweet or savoury, with this fabulous rotary waffle maker from Progress.
- With an impressive rotating function and cool-touch rotating handle, this device makes the perfect, evenly cooked waffle every time.
- Create delicious, homemade sweet or savoury waffles – ideal as an indulgent snack or family treat
- Specifically designed element for fast heat-up and perfectly browned waffles
How Do Waffle Makers Work?
Waffle makers are sometimes called waffle irons, but this is incorrect. A waffle iron is made from cast iron, and is used on an open fire, or stove top to cook waffles. A waffle maker is an electrical kitchen appliance that is used independent of the stove, on a worktop. Waffle makers work by applying an electric current to the iron which heats up as it resists the current. This heat is what cooks the waffle batter and turns it into the waffle we all know and love.
What Are The Benefits Of Waffle Makers?
There are a few benefits of owning a waffle maker they include:
- Easy To Use
Just pour in the batter, close the lid and choose the setting. Then relax, the waffle maker does the rest, it even lets you know when they’re done.
- Fast Cooking Time
Some waffle makers can make perfect waffles in just 90 seconds.
- Easy To Clean
Most waffle makers have an overspill channel where excess batter pools and cooks, without spilling down the sides of the machine and burning. Many models have non-stick, dishwasher safe, removable griddles for ease of cleaning.
- Healthy, Nutritious Ingredients
Waffles are made using wholesome, healthy ingredients like eggs, milk, and butter.
- Consistent Cooking Time After Time
As the settings are automatic, once preset at your favourite setting, you will get the same result, every time.
- Never Burnt
Because of the preset, and the warning when cooked, your waffles will turn out the same every time, never burnt just perfectly cooked
- Cheap Running Costs
The average power rating for a waffle maker is 1000 Watts, with energy costing around 16 pence per unit, that means if we were to run the waffle maker for 1 hour every day it would cost us 16 pence per day in electricity. But many models can cook waffles in 90 seconds, that’s 1 ½ minutes.
That means we could make 40 waffles for 16 pence. Let’s assume a family of 4 will possibly consume 5 waffles each, that would cost a total of 8 pence to feed the whole family on waffles.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Waffle Makers?
The main disadvantage of a waffle maker has to be, you want more and more. They become your go to breakfast meal or evening desert. Some older models used to suffer from burnt on mess that was hard to clean. But now that waffle makers use non-stick dishwasher friendly parts this is not a problem.
Waffle Maker Buyers Guide
Before rushing out to buy a waffle maker, here are a few points worth considering, many are common sense, but after hearing how easy, convenient and cheap waffles are to make at home you could be excused for overlooking a few relevant points.
Type Of Waffle
There are waffle makers that make the thick Belgian style waffles and there are others that make thinner Scandinavian style waffles. Check that the waffle maker you purchase will make the type of waffles you and your family enjoy.
How Many Waffles Can Be Cooked At One Time
Depending on the model, waffle makers can usually make between 1 and 4 waffles. Buy the model that makes the amount most suited to your needs.
There are some models that will cook the waffles in 90 seconds, others take between 2 to 3 minutes. Some mornings when time is tight, this can be the difference between a nice easy breakfast and a stress filled start which will carry on into the rest of the day.
Heat Up Time And Reheat Time
Many waffle makers heat up very fast, others take longer. Some will need a longer period to reheat after cooking. Check before you buy to be sure to save any dramas at breakfast time.
Ready To Go Indicators
Some waffle makers have indicator lights that notify you of their readiness to cook, and when they are done too. Some have buzzers or bells that notify when they’re ready. The sound indicators are more suitable as you don’t have to be stuck to the kitchen while they’re cooking. The more convenient indicators tend to feature on the more expensive models.
Some people like their waffles browner than others, check that the machine of your choice offers adjustable cooking ranges. Plus check for even cooking, nobody wants to deal with a half burnt, half raw waffle.
Many have detachable dishwasher friendly plates, drip trays and easy-clean wipeable surfaces. Look for a model with easy clean features, nobody likes to spend hours washing up burnt on waffle mix.
It’s always best to buy a kitchen appliance from a well-known manufacturer. Companies that have a proven track record for reliability, safety and good customer service departments.
Any warranty is only as good as the company that offers it. That’s why we recommend buying from a well-known reliable company. Many brands offer 2 or even 3 year warranties on waffle makers.
Waffle Maker Price
Waffle makers start from around £25 for a basic model and rise to over £100. Check the models yourself and see which features you prefer. As a rough guide, for around £40 you can get a waffle maker that cooks 2 waffles at a time, featuring non-stick coating, adjustable temperature control indicator lights with a 1200-Watt rating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although they share many of the same ingredients, pancake and waffle mixes are different.
Using the standard recipe for both, pancakes contain 20% less calories than waffles.
Pancakes came first, people were eating pancakes long before they had the necessary technology to make a waffle pan.
You can buy waffle mix, and there are many companies making waffle mixes.