Can You Put Glass In An Air Fryer? (glass dishes, mason jars etc.)
With so many of us now owning an air fryer it’s inevitable that questions come up about what can and what cannot be used to cook food in an air fryer. One question that keeps coming up is can you use a glass dish to cook food in an air fryer?
The short answer is yes, you can use a glass dish in an air fryer, but it can’t be just any glass dish. It needs to be tempered or oven safe glass.
What Is Tempered Glass?
Tempered or borosilicate glass which is probably best known under the brand name Pyrex can withstand the extremely high temperatures that an air fryer can produce.
It is claimed that Pyrex can be used at temperatures as high as 218 C (425 F) whereas a regular glass dish would shatter at such high temperatures.
Tempered glass is manufactured in a 538 C (1000 F) degree oven which makes it able to withstand high temperatures that regular glass couldn’t handle.
Which Glass Is Safe To Use In An Air Fryer?
You need to be sure that the glass dish you intend to use in the air fryer is able to withstand the temperatures achievable in an air fryer.
A quick look at the bottom of the glass dish should tell you all you need to know. If the glass dish is capable of withstanding high temperatures, it should indicate it on the bottom.
There will be a notice which either advises on the maximum temperature the dish can endure or there will be the words “oven safe”.
Take care because there are many air fryers capable of achieving temperatures of 260 C (500 F) and even the brand leader Pyrex is only safe up to 218 C (425 F).
If your glass dish has no indication about its usability in an oven, you shouldn’t risk using it. We would suggest using a different container for cooking your food in the air fryer.
How To Use Tempered Glass Dishes In An Air Fryer Safely
In many cases it’s perfectly fine to use tempered glass in an air fryer as long as you follow a few simple rules. Which are
- Use only tempered or oven safe borosilicate (Pyrex) glass
You should only use glass that has been designed to withstand high temperatures.
- Inspect the glass dish for any breaks or minute fractures
If there is a weakness within the structure of the glass, it is likely to shatter in the air fryer.
- Avoid temperature extremes
Never expose cold tempered glass to extreme heat and vice versa (never take a pyrex dish from the fridge/freezer and use it in an air fryer).
- Keep within the temperature constraints of the dish
Never set the temperature of the air fryer above that which the glass dish is able to stand (some air fryers can exceed the highest temperature that tempered glass is able to bear).
- Allow adequate airflow
Air fryers rely on a constant flow of hot air surrounding the food at all times during the short cooking process. This is why air fryer shelves and baskets are full of perforations to allow the air to flow freely. Using a dish that blocks most of those holes will prevent the food from cooking evenly.
Why Use Glass Dishes In An Air Fryer?
Why would you want to use a glass dish in your air fryer as opposed to any other type of container? There are several reasons for using glass cookware in an air fryer which include;
- It’s a way to use up oven safe glass dishes that you already own and have used in your conventional oven.
- Glass is a safe, non-toxic container even at high temperatures.
- You can cook, serve and store food in the same dish.
- As glass is transparent you are able to see how the cooking process is progressing without removing the dish from the air fryer.
However, using a glass dish isn’t always the best option because;
- Oven safe glass dishes tend to be quite large which could block the airflow in the air fryer which will prevent proper, even cooking.
- Food cannot become crisp if the hot air cannot circulate around it.
- The actual air fryer basket or wire rack shelf is often the best option for cooking many foods.
Can You Put A Mason Jar In An Air Fryer?
Mason jars are usually not made from tempered glass, which means they are likely to shatter if subjected to the high temperatures of an air fryer.
If you decide to use mason jars in an air fryer you will need to keep the heat extremely low. If they get just slightly too hot, mason jars are likely to shatter in your air fryer.
As there are so many safe alternatives available, we recommend not using mason jars in an air fryer.
Can You Put Glass Plates In An Air Fryer?
If your glass plate is not made from Pyrex or borosilicate glass and it does not carry the oven safe mark, it should not be used in an air fryer.
Only tempered glass is able to withstand some of the extreme heat produced by an air fryer. Using regular, untempered or lime soda glass in an air fryer will result in shattered glass.
What Are The Alternatives To Using Glass In An Air Fryer?
There are several alternatives to using glass in the air fryer and many are better suited. Plus you probably already own a few of these items and have used them in your regular oven.
This is a key factor actually, any cookware that can be used in a conventional oven, can be used in an air fryer.
Cast Iron Pans
- CAST IRON PAN SET - The bundle of three includes 10, 8, and 6 inches pre-seasoned frying pans; ideal sizes for domestic and outdoor use. Our cast iron pan set comes with unique handles for easy maneuvering and pouring.
Cast iron pans might be heavy, but they are also durable, non-stick and great heat conductors.
As they are so versatile, cast iron pans can be used to cook virtually anything and the food will cook evenly.
Just ensure that the pan is small enough to allow adequate airflow and never use any pan with wooden or plastic handles in an air fryer.
Stainless Steel Pans
- QUALITY- The non-stick cake pan is made of heavy duty high quality stainless steel, No chemical coating or any other materials, Non toxic for your healthy cooking.
Always check for the “oven safe” label before using a stainless steel pan in an air fryer.
Many top chefs choose stainless steel pans because they are non-toxic, long lasting, retain heat and are able to withstand high temperatures.
The only problem with stainless steel pans is they tend to become discoloured if they are subjected to too much heat.
- Family Meals With Our 32x26 cm Foil Trays - Caterly Foil containers are made up of high quality aluminium material; the sturdy and spacious body are ideal for your family meals
As long as the aluminium pan is “oven safe” it will be OK to use in the air fryer.
Disposable aluminium foil trays are a great way of containing any grease or other mess while cooking food in the air fryer. They are cheap to buy, lightweight and can withstand the high temperatures found in an air fryer.
There have been scientific studies conducted that link aluminium with Alzheimer’s and if aluminium comes into contact with any acidic food it is known to leach into the food.
Acidic foods like; Peppers, tomatoes, citrus fruits, lemon juice, vinegar, wine, or any sauces or marinades made using acidic ingredients are likely to react with aluminium and cause the aluminium to leach into the food.
- ✔ SAFE AND HEALTHY - Made of food Pro-grade safe porcelain, environmental and non-toxic Ceramic, never worry about harmful toxins leaching into your food. These porcelain baking dishes set are suitable for all types of people, both for children and for the elderly,safe and healthy.Perfect compatible with cold & hot food without worry about chips, nicks, cracks and scratches. Available in five colors (Blue, White, Red, Orange and Green)
Any “oven safe” ceramic dishes can be used in an air fryer. This includes casserole dishes, ramekins and bowls.
Ceramic cookware tends to be easy to clean, durable and heat resistant and are also good heat conductors. This ensures that the food is cooked evenly.
Always ensure the ceramic dish doesn’t cover all of the holes in the air fryer’s basket.
Air Fryer Accessory Kits
- What you will receive: 5 pieces of air fryer accessories, 1 cake bucket, 1 pizza pan, 1 metal stand, 1 multipurpose tilting rack, 1 silicone mat, simple and practical for your air fryer's basic needs.
These kits typically contain; a pizza pan, cake pan, metal rack, a metal stand and various utensils.
They are dishwasher safe, durable and heat resistant. Plus they are designed exclusively for air fryers.
Silicone Oven Dishes
- Waterproof & Oil-Proof & Non-Stick : Our reusable air fryer liners are made from high quality silicone material, it is waterproof, oil proof, non-stick bottom, and the raised edge of the air fryer liner protects the sides of the air fryer from food grease Splash, saves us cleaning time tremendously.
These food grade silicone dishes are available in many sizes to fit pretty much every type of air fryer on the market. They are made from waterproof, grease proof, non-toxic, non-stick, dishwasher safe silicone.
Silicone oven dishes are a great way to cook food in the air fryer without spreading any mess. Plus, as they are dishwasher safe, they’re easy to clean too.
Disposable Air Fryer Liners
- ★ Including 50 pcs air fryer liners for baking, sufficient quantities offer a wide range of choices for your daily cooking, baking and replacement needs. Just throw away the paper-liner after use. No need to clean the fryer anymore
These disposable air fryer liners are made from reinforced baking (parchment) paper and are available in a number of shapes and sizes to fit many air fryers.
They can withstand temperatures of up to 220 C (428 F) and can be used in air fryers, steamers and microwave ovens.
They’re waterproof, grease proof and non-stick. After use, they can either be disposed of in the general waste bin or in some areas they can be recycled.
- Can You Put Oven Safe Dishes In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Plastic In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Oil In An Air Fryer? (best & worst types)
- Can You Put Bacon In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
As Pyrex dishes are able to withstand temperatures up to 218 C (425 F) and most air fryers can produce no more than 204 C (400 F) you can put a Pyrex dish in the air fryer. Always ensure that the dish is free from any slight breaks or fractures and also ensure that the dish doesn’t cover too many holes in the air fryer’s basket as air fryers rely on the free circulation of hot air to cook food.
As mason jars are not made from tempered glass, it is not advisable to put them in an air fryer. Untempered glass is likely to shatter if subjected to high temperatures.
As long as the glass plate is “oven safe” or made from borosilicate glass (better known as Pyrex) it can be put in an air fryer. Regular untempered glass should never be used in an air fryer as it is likely to shatter when subjected to the high temperatures produced in an air fryer.
No, you can’t put a Pyrex dish straight from the fridge into the air fryer because the extreme temperature change is likely to shatter the glass. Pyrex should be at room temperature before being used in an air fryer.