Can You Put Grease In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
It is not advisable to use grease in an air fryer. If you need to prevent food from sticking to the basket, you should use a cooking oil with a high smoke point.
There are exceptions to this goose fat roast potatoes for example. But the goose fat is applied to the potatoes before cooking in the air fryer.
Is It Safe To Put Grease In An Air Fryer?
As we said earlier, it’s not a good idea to put grease in an air fryer. In most cases, we spend most of our time preventing grease from getting into the air fryer by using paper liners when cooking greasy foods in the air fryer.
However, just like using butter in the air fryer, you can use melted grease or animal fat poured directly onto food that’s cooked in the air fryer.
How To Melt Grease In An Air Fryer
If you intend to coat the food you wish to cook in the air fryer with grease or lard you can melt it first in the air fryer. You should use a small ceramic ovenproof dish or ramekin to place the grease in before placing in the air fryer basket.
- Ragout fin dishes in different colours: green, blue, yellow, pink.
- Suitable for ragout fin, pastry, creme brulee and more.
You should cut the lard into small pieces to help it melt quicker. Then air fry at 180 C (350 F) for a minute or so. Lard has a smoke point of 190 C (375 F) which is quite low in comparison to many oils. Which is why we never recommend using lard or grease in the air fryer unless cooking at low temperatures.
The Best Way To Use Lard (grease) In An Air Fryer
- 🍗[HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL]: Made from high-quality silicone, our pastry brushes, including a pastry brush and silicone brush, are heat-resistant up to 230°C and non-stick, making them easy to clean and perfect for use with all cooking oils and sauces. Ideal for silicone pastry brush cooking and silicone baking.
- 🍗[ERGONOMIC DESIGN]: Our silicone pastry brushes, including a food brush and pastry brushes for baking, have an ergonomic design that makes them easy to hold and use, ensuring that you get the perfect basting every time.
The best way to use grease in an air fryer is to use a brush to brush the melted lard onto the food before cooking. 1 to 2 tablespoons of melted grease should be more than enough to coat your food thoroughly.
Using Grease In An Air Fryer Top Tips
If you do want to use grease in the air fryer you should always;
- Melt the grease before use
- Use as little as possible to reduce mess
- Use a brush to spread the grease on your food
- Be aware of the smoke point of grease (190 C/375 F) and always cook below this point when using grease
Are There Any Reasons Not To Use Grease?
Grease is not the healthiest type of fat that can be used to cook food and as air frying eliminates the need for a lot of oil, we would never recommend using grease. If you do want to use animal fat to cook your food, we would suggest using butter.
There are certain foods that will not need any extra grease to cook in the air fryer. These include;
Grease will also lead to smoke far quicker than many oils because it has a lower smoking point.
Ways To Prevent Grease Dripping All Over The Air Fryer
There are several ways you can help to prevent grease from dripping all over the air fryer. These include;
- PROWRAP PARCHMENT PAPER—Contains roll of 300mm x 50m.
- BETTER BAKING SHEETS - Our parchment sheets are made of heavy duty Paper which is chlorine free and compostable. No pan greasing is needed and it is microwave safe.
Parchment or baking paper is designed to allow heat flow through which makes it ideal for use in the air fryer. Simply cut to the size of your air fryer’s basket.
Always ensure you preheat the air fryer before adding parchment paper to prevent any fire risks.
Air Fryer Paper Liners
- 🍗【Healthy Material】Air fryer liners Using food grade parchment, it is waterproof, oil-proof, non-stick, 100% healthy and with nice heat resistant, environmentally friendly degradable,And can withstand temperatures up to 450 degrees FahrenheitAnd it has no effect on the taste of food.
- 🍟【Keep Fryer Clean】Air fryer accessories keep the fryer as clean as it was before use, preventing food scraps and greasy stains from being left on the cookware. Extend fryer life and reduce cleaning time.home baking, camping, barbecue,BBQ, party can not be without greaseproof paper.
Made from reinforced parchment paper, these liners are waterproof, grease proof, non-stick, non-toxic and can be disposed of in the general waste when finished with.
They prevent any grease from leaking from the basket and making a mess in the air fryer.
- 🍲【Size and Material 】 Our 2pcs air fryer liners size is 7.6 x 4.9 x 2.7 inches for Ninja Air Fryer Accessories. Air fryer accessories is make of 100% food grade silicone, you can enjoy freshly baked delicious food with confidence. Our airfryer silicone liners can withstand temperatures up to 450°F.
- 😋【Compatible with Ninja Air Fryer Accessories】Our air fryer silicone liner specially designed for Ninja Foodi DZ201/DZ401 8QT is a great substitute for disposable paper. Made of high-quality silicone, non-toxic, odorless, BPA-free, and 100% healthy.
These silicone air fryer liners are made from food grade silicone and are waterproof, grease proof, non-toxic, non-stick, dishwasher safe and environmentally friendly.
As they can be used time after time they are better for the environment than paper liners and come in a range of shapes and sizes to fit most air fryers.
How To Remove Grease From The Air Fryer
Whether you’ve deliberately used grease to cook your food in the air fryer, or the food you have cooked is very greasy, it can be cleaned relatively simply.
- Allow the air fryer to cool down completely
- Use kitchen paper to remove as much grease as possible
- Pour hot water and washing up liquid in the air fryer basket
- Leave to soak for around 5 to 10 minutes
- Wash the basket in hot water and allow to dry
- Once fully dried, replace the basket back in the air fryer
Where does lard come from?
The larder! 😂
- Can You Put Waffles In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Pasta In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Ravioli In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
We would recommend using air fryer paper liners or silicone air fryer liners to catch grease in the air fryer.
Lard has a smoke point of around 190 C (375 F) whereas most vegetable oils have smoke points of between 200 to 250 C (400 to 500 F).
Whether it’s better to cook with lard or oil is down to personal choice really. Lard is higher in monounsaturated fats which are better for you, but vegetable oil is often easier to use.