Can You Put Rice In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
On the surface, it shouldn’t be possible to cook rice in an air fryer because of the way air fryers cook. However, there is a way to cook rice in the air fryer but you will need to think outside the box.
Rice needs to be cooked in boiling water and there’s nowhere in an air fryer to boil water. The air fryer’s basket is full of tiny perforations to allow adequate air flow when cooking food.
Obviously the air fryer basket won’t hold water long enough to boil it and the leakage would cause serious problems.
How To Boil Rice In An Air Fryer
To successfully cook rice in an air fryer you will need a cake tin or ovenproof dish. The secret to cooking rice in an air fryer is to contain the boiling water in the cake tin and cover the top with foil.
- 150g (1 cup) of Rice
- 1.7 litres (7 cups) water
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- Boil the kettle full of water
- Rinse the uncooked rice in hot water to remove the starch (this prevents the rice from clumping together when cooking)
- Place the rice and the salt in the cake tin and cover with boiling water
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Cover the cake tin with foil and place in the air fryer basket
- Cook for 25 minutes
- Remove the cake tin using oven gloves and carefully remove the foil
- Allow the rice to dry for 10 minutes
- Fluff with a fork and serve
Air Fryer Rice Cooking Tips
- This method only works for long grain rice, short grain (pudding) rice needs to be steamed and so will not work using this method
- Ensure the cake tin fits comfortably in the air fryer basket
- Take care when removing the cake tin from the air fryer basket as it will be extremely hot
- You should rinse the rice until the water runs clear to ensure all of the starch has been removed
How To Cook Fried Rice In An Air Fryer
If you’re a fan of Asian cuisine you’ll know just how tasty fried rice is. The problem is, it’s often full of salt and fat and if you’re trying to stay healthy, that can make life difficult.
This recipe gives the best of both worlds, a healthy fried rice that’s full of flavour.
- 700g (3 cups) cooked rice
- 240g (1 cup) Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 73g (⅓ cup) Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Sesame Oil
- 2 Scrambled Eggs
- Put the cooked rice into a large bowl and add the frozen mixed vegetables to the bowl
- Add the scrambled eggs
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil
- Mix all of the ingredients until fully combined
- Tip the mixture into an ovenproof dish
- Air fry for 5 minutes at 180 C (350 F)
- Stir and air fry for another 5 minutes
- Stir and air fry for a further 5 minutes Check that the internal temperature of the rice is at least 75 C (167 F)
Air Fried Rice Cooking Tips
- You can use any oil that you prefer
- You can substitute soy sauce for coconut aminos
- You can use any frozen vegetables
- You can leave the scrambled eggs out if you prefer
- Rice needs to have an internal temperature of 75 C (167 F) to be safe to eat
- Cooking times may vary depending on the make and model of air fryer you own
- We recommend using a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the rice has reached at least 75 C (167 F) before serving
Can You Reheat Rice In An Air Fryer?
If you have leftover rice in the fridge it can be reheated in the air fryer in around 12 to 15 minutes.
- Leftover Chilled Rice
- Place the leftover rice in a cake tin
- Cover with foil
- Air fry for 6 minutes at 160 C (320 F) until the internal temperature reaches at least 75 C (167 F)
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes
- Fluff up with a fork and serve
What did the rice farmer say as he was working in his fields?
No pain, no grain! 😂
- Can You Put Empanadas In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Eggos (Frozen Waffles) In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Dinner Rolls In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cook rice in an air fryer. Just place the rice in a cake tin, top with boiling water, add a teaspoon of salt and cover with foil. Air fry for 25 minutes at 200 C (400 F).
You can reheat cooked rice in an air fryer. Just place the rice in a cake tin, cover with foil and air fry at 320 F (160 C) for 6 minutes.
You can make fried rice in an air fryer. Mix the cooked rice with frozen vegetables and any flavourings (like soy sauce). Place the mixture in an ovenproof dish, air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.