Can You Put Sausages In An Air Fryer? (how to cook chilled & frozen bangers)
Yes you can cook sausages in an air fryer, in fact, it’s the best way to cook sausages we’ve found.
Air fryers are relatively new innovations which is why there are so many questions regarding how to use an air fryer on forums and other forms of social media.
Unlike other new kitchen appliances which get used once or twice and are then left to gather dust, our air fryer is in constant demand.
Why Should You Cook Sausages In An Air Fryer?
Due to the way sausages spit as they are cooking, we stopped cooking our sausages in a frying pan years ago. Opting instead for oven cooking sausages as a better way of containing the grease splatter.
However, this meant heating the entire oven and cleaning the oven after use as well.
Air fryers work by passing hot air all around the food being cooked (in this case sausages). This means they cook quickly which saves on utility bills.
Added to which, as the air fryer is so much smaller than a conventional oven, it takes less energy to heat it to the required temperature which means another significant saving on electricity usage.
Also, like a conventional oven, air frying sausages contains all of the grease into the oven (or air fryer) instead of splattering grease all around the kitchen.
Plus, the sausages taste so much better from an air fryer. Maybe it’s knowing that they have not been cooked in a load of fat and grease. Or maybe it’s because being cooked in such a small area they hold on to more flavour.
Whatever it is, the only place we cook our sausages now is in the air fryer.
How Do You Cook Sausages In An Air Fryer?
Cooking sausages in an air fryer is simplicity itself. All you need to do is prick the sausages using a fork or a sharp knife (to help the fat to escape and to stop them bursting), then arrange them in the basket in a single layer. Try to prevent them from touching each other where possible.
Then set the temperature and timer and apart from turning them every so often, that’s it. The result will be perfectly cooked bangers every time.
What Temperature Should You Cook Sausages At In An Air Fryer?
The perfect temperature to cook sausages in an air fryer is 180 C (350 F). Don’t be tempted to cook them at a higher temperature thinking they’ll cook faster.
Because they won’t, all that will happen is that the outsides will burn and the inside may still be raw.
Sausages are cooked correctly when the internal temperature ranges between 71 to 76 C (160 to 170 F). You should check your sausages using a meat thermometer to be sure they are cooked correctly.
- [3s ULTRA FAST&ACCURATE]: DOQAUS updated version instant read thermometer provides precise temperature readings within 3seconds! Food probe accurate to -1 degree with a WIDE RANGE of -58°F - 572ºF/-50° C - 300° C. our digital meat thermometer serves you for almost all culinary occasions: Steak, BBQ, Jam or Icy beer, from blazing hot to freezing cold. The temperature guidelines on the package help you get the desired doneness of your food
- [REVERSIBLE DISPLAY]: The large, easy-to-read backlight screen offers you a spectacular clarity when reading the temperature in the dark or in the middle of smoke! And the reversible display rotates automatically depending on how the digital thermometer is held and enables you to read the numbers from any direction which is very easy for right or left hand persons to use
How Long Should Sausages Be Cooked For In An Air Fryer?
The length of time needed to cook sausages in an air fryer depends on the size and thickness of the sausages. Because all air fryers are different the following timings are for guidance only;
- Thick Sausages (Pork, Beef, Bratwurst, Lincolnshire, Cumberland, etc) 15 minutes
- Chipolatas 10 minutes
- Thin (Pork, Breakfast, etc) 10 minutes
- Cocktail Sausages 8 minutes
- Pigs In Blankets 8 minutes
All sausages cooked in an air fryer should be turned at least once during the cooking (at the halfway point is best). We have found the easiest and least messy way to turn sausages in an air fryer basket is to use air fryer safe tongs.
- 【PREMIUM FOOD GRADE STAINLESS STEEL】These kitchen tongs set main make of thick 18/8 stainless steel, rust-resistant, durable without the risk of them bending or breaking.
- 【NON-STICK SILICONE HANDLE】 The handle make of 100% Food Grade Silicone BPA and PVC free , and the heat-resistant up to 480 degrees F. Let your family and friends no worry to enjoy the food!
Can You Cook Frozen Sausages In An Air Fryer?
You can cook frozen sausages in an air fryer because supermarkets have developed a way to freeze them without the need to defrost them when cooking.
You will need to add a couple of minutes to the cooking time and check the internal temperature before serving.
If you have frozen the sausages yourself, it is best to defrost them overnight in the fridge before cooking them in an air fryer.
Ways To Save On Cleaning Up Time After Cooking Sausages In An Air Fryer
As we said at the beginning of this article, cooking sausages in an air fryer is the best way to cook sausages. Apart from the taste, all of the grease and mess is contained inside the air fryer (which is a far smaller area than a conventional oven).
However, there are liners that can be used to save on washing up even more. For more information on what to line the air fryer with check out our article by clicking here.And also, check out this video:
- ★ Including 50 pcs air fryer liners for baking, sufficient quantities offer a wide range of choices for your daily cooking, baking and replacement needs. Just throw away the paper-liner after use. No need to clean the fryer anymore
- ★ Baking paper using food grade parchment, Disposable Paper for Household Air Fryer is waterproof, oil-proof, non-stick, 100% healthy and with nice heat resistant, bamboo steamer can withstand temperatures up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit. And baking parchment has no effect on the taste of food.
There are numerous companies manufacturing these disposable air fryer liners and they are available in lots of different sizes to fit almost any air fryer.
They are made from reinforced baking (parchment) paper which holds its shape quite well.
The beauty of these liners is, they keep all of the fat and grease from the sausages inside the liner which really cuts down on cleaning.
- 🥘【For Ninjas Dual Air Fryer】Our silicone air fryer liner specially designed for Ninjas Dual Air Fryer, Can cook two cooking at the same time, The reusable silicone air fryer liner is more affordable, Great alternative to disposable paper fryer paper.
- 🥘【Premium Material】Our air fryer silicone pot is made from 100% food safe grade silicone.It is non-stick, non-toxic, no odor, BPA-free and highly heat resistant and can withstand temperatures up to 450°F and down to -40°F.Dimensions 19.5*12*7cm, Suitable for air fryers, ovens and microwaves.
Silicone air fryer liners are a similar design to the reinforced baking paper liners only made from reusable silicone.
They can be used in air fryers, microwave ovens and steamers and are more environmentally friendly than paper liners because they are reusable.
As they are quite thick, you might have to add a minute or two to your timings when cooking sausages using silicone liners (check the internal temperature of the sausage before serving).
Aluminium Foil Trays
- Family Meals With Our 32x26 cm Foil Trays - Caterly Foil containers are made up of high quality aluminium material; the sturdy and spacious body are ideal for your family meals
- Perfect package for a perfect kitchen - These large foil trays comes in pack of 10 ; these roasting trays are a perfect fit for lasagne, Roasting Turkey, BBQ, and catering party portions
These aluminium foil trays are shaped to fit in the basket of the air fryer. They can withstand the high temperatures produced in air fryers and will prevent the grease and fat from spreading all around the air fryer.
However, there have been scientific studies that have linked aluminium to Alzheimer’s. Which seems to imply that aluminium reacts with acidic foods and leaches into that food.
So, if you do decide to use aluminium foil or foil trays, don’t cook anything with any of the following;
- Citrus Or Citrus Juice
Or any marinades or sauces made from any acidic ingredients.
You should be OK cooking sausages in aluminium foil trays, but since hearing about the possible links to Alzheimer’s, we’re not using foil trays at all.
- Do Air Fryer Disposable Paper Liners Work? (and are they worth it)
- Can You Put Aluminum Foil In An Air Fryer? (silver kitchen foil, tin foil trays & more)
- Air Fryer Vs Deep Fryer – Read this first!
- Can You Put Frozen Chicken In An Air Fryer? (breast, wings, mini fillets etc)
Frequently Asked Questions
Air fryer cooked sausages are definitely healthier than fried sausages which sit in the fat, grease and oil as they cook.
To prevent sausages from bursting in an air fryer you should always prick the skins with a sharp knife or a fork before cooking.
To cook sausages in an air fryer you should prick the sausages with a sharp knife or a fork to prevent them from bursting. Then arrange them in the air fryer basket so that they are not touching. Set the temperature at 180 C (350 F) and set the timer for 15 minutes. Turn the sausages at least once during the cooking time and check to see if they’re done after 10 minutes using a meat thermometer. The interior of the sausage needs to be between 71 to 76 C (160 to 170 F).
Whilst it is safe to use aluminium foil in an air fryer (within reason), you should not wrap the sausages up. Because the air fryer cooks food by passing hot air all around the food. You would be better to use a disposable air fryer liner when you cook sausages.
To cook chipolatas in an air fryer you should arrange them in the basket. Try to allow a gap between each sausage. Cook at 180 C (350 F) for 10 minutes. The chipolatas should be turned at least once during the cooking time (at the halfway point is a good time). Check the sausages after 8 minutes using a meat thermometer, the interior of the chipolata needs to be between 71 to 76 C (160 to 170 F).