Can You Put Spring Rolls In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
When you’re cooking spring rolls in the air fryer, one of the most important things to do is get the temperature right.
Once you have the correct ingredients, the correct cooking temperature and the correct cooking time, you’ll be making homemade spring rolls for your family every time.
How To Make Homemade Spring Rolls In An Air Fryer
For this recipe you can choose between turkey, chicken, pork or beef.
- 454g (1lb) Minced Beef, Turkey, Chicken or Pork
- 12 Egg Roll Pastry Wrappers
- 2 teaspoons of Minced Ginger
- 1 tablespoon of Minced Garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 2 Chopped Spring Onions
- 120g (1 cup) of Shredded Cabbage
- 60g (½ cup) of Sliced Red Pepper
- Place the minced meat, ginger, garlic,spring onions, cabbage and pepper in a pan and cook for around 6 minutes or until the meat starts to brown
- Remove from the heat and add the hoisin sauce and soy sauce and mix in
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 C (350 F)
- Place the egg roll wrappers on the work surface
- Place an equal portion of filling at the bottom third of each egg roll wrapper
- Wet the edge of each egg roll wrapper lightly with cold water
- Starting at the bottom, fold the egg roll wrapper up and over the filling
- Fold the sides until each individual egg roll is sealed
- Lightly oil the air fryer basket with spray oil
- Arrange the spring rolls in a single layer allowing space between each one
- Spray the top of the spring rolls
- Air fry for 6 minutes
- Turn the spring rolls over carefully
- Cook for a further 6 minutes
Air Fried Spring Rolls Cooking Tips
- You can use any vegetables that you have at hand
- You can use any minced meat
- Cooking times are for guidance only
- If you can’t get egg roll pastry wrappers, you can use filo pastry instead
Can You Cook Frozen Spring Rolls In An Air Fryer?
You can cook frozen spring rolls in an air fryer in less than 10 minutes. Cooking frozen spring rolls in an air fryer leaves no mess and only uses a small amount of oil, here’s how;
- Frozen Spring Rolls
- Cooking Oil
- Brush each frozen spring roll with oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Arrange the spring rolls in a single layer in the air fryer basket ensuring there is a gap between each one
- Air fry for 4 minutes
- Turn each spring roll
- Air fry for a further 4 minutes
Air Fried Frozen Spring Roll Cooking Tips
- Always cook in a single layer ensuring there is a gap around each spring roll
- Your spring rolls might need more or less cooking time depending on the size, they’re done when they are at an even temperature all through
- Eat as soon as cooked (they don’t store very well)
If you would like to know how to cook frozen egg rolls in an air fryer follow this link.
What’s The Story Behind Spring Rolls?
Spring rolls, also known as spring pancakes are a traditional Chinese food eaten at Chinese New Year. The Chinese New Year or Spring Festival in China is where spring rolls get their name.
The spring rolls are shaped to represent gold bars, a symbolism of wealth. They are eaten as a way to welcome springtime. The tradition dates back to around 600 AD when everyone made a thin pancake from flour to celebrate the arrival of spring.
During the Tang Dynasty (618 to 907) this spring dish was decorated using carrots and celery by the common people. The richer people added meats, sauces and more exotic vegetables.
By the mid 1300s they rolled these pancakes into spring rolls and were a favourite amongst residents of the Royal palaces as well as the more common folk.
What’s the difference between a spring roll and a summer roll?
- Can You Put Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Goose Fat Roast Potatoes In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Garlic Bread In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can air fry frozen spring rolls and they’re best cooked from frozen. All you need to do is air fry for around 8 minutes at 200 C (400 F) turning at around the halfway point.
Frozen spring rolls are usually fully cooked.
If you can’t get egg roll pastry wrappers, you can use filo pastry.
You should set your air fryer at 200 C (400 F) to cook frozen spring rolls. They will take around 8 minutes to cook.