Can You Put Dough In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
The air fryer has become one of those kitchen appliances that although having only been around for a few years, have become indispensable. You can air fry meats, fish, and all manner of different food items.
They will all cook to perfection and in a fraction of the time taken in a conventional oven. If you have an air fryer then you know what we mean. But did you know you can put dough in the air fryer and create bread, rolls, pizza and donuts?
Well, you can and if you keep reading we’ll show exactly how.
How To Make Bread In An Air Fryer
Bread has been a staple food for mankind for thousands of years and nothing smells quite so inviting as freshly cooked bread. Making bread in the air fryer is so simple, we’re sure that once you make bread in your air fryer for the first time, you’ll go back time after time.
- 385g (3 cups) of Strong Bread Flour
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) of Instant Yeast
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 240ml (1 cup) of Warm Water
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Pour the flour, yeast and salt into a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Add the honey, olive oil and warm water
- Mix together using a large spoon until all of the flour has been absorbed into the dough
- Gently knead the dough in the bowl a few times
- Cover with a tea towel and leave somewhere warm for around 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and stretch the dough into an oblong shape
- Fold the top over the bottom and then roll the dough up like a loose sausage
- Roll the dough into a ball shape
- Place the dough into a greased 7 inch cake tin and cover with a tea towel for 30 minutes
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F)
- Score the top of the dough with a sharp knife and lightly coat the dough in olive oil
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 200 C (400 F)
- Cook for a further 25 minutes at 180 C (350 F)
- Remove the cake tin from the air fryer and tip the bread out
- Place the bread back into the air fryer basket upside down and cook for another 5 minutes at 180 C (350 F)
- Tap the bread to see whether it is done. It will sound hollow if it is done, if not cook for another couple of minutes
- Place the bread on a wire rack to cool before slicing
Air Fryer Bread Cooking Tips
- You can use plain flour if you don’t have any strong flour
- You can substitute the honey for sugar
- You can substitute melted butter for olive oil
- All air fryers are different which means all cooking times are purely for guidance
- You can easily turn this dough into rolls by dividing the dough into 6
How To Make Air Fryer Pizza
This air fryer pizza uses the same bread dough recipe as above but split into 4 pieces. Each piece will make 1 6 to 8 inch pizza.
- ¼ Bread Dough (from above)
- 30ml (¼ cup) of Tomato Puree
- 25g (3 tablespoons) Grated Cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 195 C (380 F)
- Roll the dough into a ball and then flatten
- The pizza base needs to be around ¼ of an inch thick
- Spray the air fryer basket and lay the pizza base in the basket
- Prick the base with a fork in a few places
- Air fry for 3 minutes
- Turn the pizza base over and air fry for a further 2 to 3 minutes or until the crust looks golden
- Spread the tomato puree all over the pizza top and add the grated cheese
- Add any other toppings then spray the toppings with olive oil
- Place an air fryer rack over the top of the pizza to prevent any of the toppings from flying off
- Air fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted
Air Fryer Pizza Cooking Tips
- If you’re cooking more than one pizza, you might have to adjust the cooking times and omit the preheating after the first one
- Using a air fryer rack will prevent any of the toppings from getting blown off the top of the pizza by the air fryer’s strong fan
- You can add any toppings you prefer
- Always remember to cook both sides of the pizza base before adding any toppings
Air Fryer Pizza Toppings Suggestions
You can top your pizza with any toppings that you prefer we have found the following to be successful;
You can even cook donuts in an air fryer in fact, we have a whole article devoted to just that. Hop over to our can you put donuts in an air fryer page by clicking here.
What did the bread dough say to the baker?
It’s nice to be kneaded!
- Can You Put Gammon In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Gammon Steaks In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Liver In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Kebabs In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Lamb Chops In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make bread in an air fryer as well as bread rolls and pizza.
You should preheat the air fryer to 200 C (400 F) and cook for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 180 C (350 F) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
You can put a cake tin in an air fryer as long as it fits in the basket comfortably.
You can make pizza in an air fryer. Simply cook the base on both sides before adding the toppings of your choice. Then use an air fryer rack to prevent the fillings from flying off during the cooking process.