Can You Put Hush Puppies In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Cooking Hush puppies in an air fryer can be a challenge because they are traditionally deep fried in hot fat. However, with a few tweaks to the traditional recipe it is possible to make hush puppies in the air fryer.
How To Make Hush Puppies In An Air Fryer
This recipe works well in the air fryer and takes very little time to prepare.
- 140g (1 cup) Polenta (Corn Meal)
- 105g (¾ cup) Plain Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Onions
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Egg
- 170ml (¾ cup) Buttermilk or Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 190 C (380 F)
- In a large bowl mix the polenta, plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, chopped onions and chopped peppers
- Whisk the egg and buttermilk together and add slowly to the dry ingredients until a thick batter is formed
- Allow the batter to rest for around 5 to 10 minutes
- Place parchment paper in the base of the air fryer basket
- Spoon mounds of batter onto the parchment paper ensuring there is a gap between each mound
- Spray the tops with oil
- Air fry at 190 C (380 F) for 5 minutes
- Turn the hush puppies
- Cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp and golden brown
Air Fried Hush Puppies Cooking Tips
- Cooking times may vary as all air fryers are different
- Ensure the batter is quite thick or else it won’t form mounds properly
- If cooking in batches the second and subsequent batch will take less time
- You can add or subtract spices to suit your preference
- You can use buttermilk or yogurt for this recipe (yogurt often results in a firmer batter)
- Use fine polenta (corn meal)
- Allow the batter to rest before use
How To Cook Frozen Hush Puppies In An Air Fryer
If you have a pack of frozen hush puppies in your freezer, you can be serving them in less than 10 minutes.
- 12 Frozen Hush Puppies
- Place the frozen hush puppies in the air fryer basket ensuring there is space between each one
- Air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 4 minutes
- Shake the basket and air fry for a further 2 minutes or until heated through
Air Fried Frozen Hush Puppies Cooking Tips
- All cooking times are approximate because all air fryers are different
- If you’re cooking in batches, second and subsequent batches will require less cooking time
Can You Reheat Hush Puppies In An Air Fryer?
You can reheat hush puppies in an air fryer. All you need to do is place the hush puppies in the air fryer basket and air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 3 to 5 minutes.
How is a baseball team like a hush puppy?
They both need a good batter! 😂
- Can You Put Kale In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Oysters In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Quiche In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
Air fried hush puppies are good but they might be slightly more dense than traditional deep fried hush puppies. They’re definitely a healthier option as you use virtually no oil at all.
You can cook frozen hush puppies in an air fryer. Just air fry at 180 C (350 F) for around 6 minutes.
You can reheat hush puppies in an air fryer. Just place the hush puppies in the air fryer basket and air fry at 180 C (350 F) for 3 to 5 minutes.