Can You Put Pierogies In An Air Fryer? (read this first)
Pierogies, or filled dumplings are traditionally cooked in boiling water or fried in deep fat. They originate in Eastern Europe having been introduced to the USA by Polish settlers. In parts of Canada and Ukraine they are known as varenyky.
Typically filled with potato, cheese, onions, sauerkraut, mushrooms, minced meat or fruit, pierogies can be reheated in an air fryer.
How To Cook Frozen Pierogies In An Air Fryer
Frozen pierogies are easy to cook in an air fryer.
- 454g (1lb) Frozen Pierogies
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Place the frozen pierogies in a large bowl and add the olive oil
- Toss the pierogies to ensure they are all covered in olive oil
- Place the pierogies in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- Air fry at 200 C (400 F) for 5 minutes
- Turn the pierogies and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the pierogies are crisp and golden
Air Fried Frozen Pierogies Cooking Tips
- Cooking times are for guidance purposes only because all air fryers are different
- The pierogies will be cooked when they puff up and change colour to a golden brown
- Ensure the internal temperature reaches at least 75 C (167 F) before serving
- You can omit the oil but then the pierogies will not become crispy
- Frozen mini pierogies can be cooked in the air fryer too, just reduce the cooking time to around 7 to 8 minutes in total
- Always ensure the air fryer basket is not overcrowded
- Large pierogies will take anywhere between 10 to 15 minutes total cooking time
- The easiest way to prevent too much mess in the air fryer is to use disposable paper liners in the air fryer basket
- To ensure your pierogies cook evenly and crisp, turn at the halfway point
- Cook from frozen, don’t thaw them before cooking
- You can use any cooking oil
- If you’re cooking in batches, the second and subsequent batches will need less cooking time
Air Fried Frozen Pierogies Serving Suggestions
Serve with your favourite topping or dip or;
- Sour Cream
- Tomato Sauce
Let us know your favourite pierogies accompaniment in the comments below!
How To Cook Fresh Pierogies In An Air Fryer
Cooking fresh store bought pierogies uses the same process as frozen. However, the cooking time is reduced.
- 454g (1 lb) Fresh (unfrozen) Pierogies
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Place the fresh pierogies in a large bowl add the olive oil
- Toss to ensure all of the pierogies are covered with oil
- Place in the air fryer basket in a single layer
- Air fry for 4 minutes at 200 C (400 F)
- Turn and cook for a further 4 minutes or until the pierogies are puffed up and golden brown
What do you call rubbish wrapped in small bin bags?
- Can You Put Wet Batter In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Hot Pockets In An Air Fryer?
- Can You Put Toaster Strudels/Pop Tarts In An Air Fryer?
Frequently Asked Questions
You should cook frozen pierogies for anywhere between 10 to 12 minutes at 200 C (400 F), fresh pierogies will take anywhere between 8 to 10 minutes at 200 C (400 F) and mini pierogies will take between 6 to 8 minutes at 200 C (400 F).
Cooking frozen pierogies in an air fryer is a great way to cook them. They will take between 10 to 12 minutes at 200 C (400 F).
Frozen pierogies are usually fully cooked and just need to be fully reheated.
You can reheat pierogies in the air fryer. Simply place them in the air fryer basket and air fry at 200 C (400 F) for around 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C (167 F).